Australia has one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world. And as the popularity of pets continues to rise, so too does the need for qualified workers with the right skills to keep pets happy and healthy.
The ACM20117 Certificate II in Animal Studies will qualify you to work in a pet store, shelter, kennel or cattery.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Animal Attendant (Veterinary Clinic)
- Animal Care Attendant (Animal Shelter)
- Assistant Animal Groomer
- Cattery Attendant
- Kennel Hand
- Pet Shop Attendant
What You'll Learn
- Learn the ins and outs of the animal care industry, and how to work alongside both animals and people
- Get a handle on the administrative side of working in the animal care industry and how to maintain records, provide reception services and communicate with colleagues
- From proper feeding to correct hygiene practices, understand the key necessities of animal care
- Gain the skills to respond appropriately to an emergency and provide basic first aid to animals
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- Maximum 12 months
- Online with Work Placement
There are no mandated education entry requirements for this qualification as per the ACM – Animal Care and Management Training Package.
To successfully complete this course, it is recommended that students:
- Be over 16 years of age
- Have language, literacy and numeracy skills that ensure the ability to read and comprehend technical terms and communicate effectively through email. These skills are equivalent to those that would be required to successfully complete year 10
- Access to a modern computer with high-speed internet
- Basic computing skills including the ability to make a short video
- If you love animals and are passionate about promoting their welfare, then a job in animal care could be perfect for you. This course will provide an excellent foundation for your career in animal care
- Gain first-hand experience in the animal care industry with 80 hours of structured workplace learning
- Learn from Trainers and Assessors who ae passionate about the industry and have years of experience
- As this is an online course, you can enjoy the flexibility and convenience of being able to fit your study around your schedule
The workplace will need to provide a range of services to various animal species. The workplaces which would offer this could include:
- Veterinary practices
- Boarding facilities
- Retail pet stores
- Kennels and catteries
- Daycare facilities for companion animals
- Animal welfare facilities
- Companion animal breeding facilities
- Case studies, Forum discussions, Practical assessments, Quizzes, Research projects, Video
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)