- This course is eligible for JobTrainer in 2021
Do you love the idea of working with children? This entry-level childcare course will equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to become a trained assistant in the children’s services sector.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Family day carer
- Out of school care assistant
- Childcare assistant (supervised)
What You'll Learn
The course encompasses the health, education and sociological aspects of childcare to prepare you for work in a range of environments. You’ll gain the skills to use organisational policies, procedures, and individual children’s profiles to plan activities and provide care to children. You’ll also learn to facilitate their leisure and play, enabling them to achieve their developmental outcomes.
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 12 months
- 3 days per week
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants must be aged 16 or over
- Any student under the age of 17 must provide a Transition from School form prior to undertaking this course.
- Applicants are expected to have literacy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 and numeracy skills at Year 10 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2
- Working with Children Check for applicants 18 and over & Police Check required for industry work placement
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer
Through our established network, you will also complete two industry placements which are organised by The Gordon:
- First placement: four days per week over four weeks
- Second placement: four days per week over three weeks
You will be required to obtain a current and approved Working with Children Check to meet workplace regulatory requirements.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
- Team projects
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)