Employment in residential care services has grown by 42.7% over the last 10 years*.
With around a quarter of a million workers, this sector is still needing professional people to provide the personal, physical and emotional support required for Australia’s rapidly ageing population. The government has prospected potential skills shortages in this sector.
The nationally recognised E1381 Certificate III in Individual Support (Specialising in Ageing, Home and Community) is the first step in gaining the skills to operate effectively as a care worker or assistant in nursing in a residential aged care facility, or as a community care worker. You can access this course by direct entry but it would also be suitable for you if you have some experience and need to formalise your qualifications.
Offered in partnership with ICM Training, this course includes a practical work placement to give you experience in an operating aged care facility. This learning component will give you the practical, hands-on experience that you need to become fully job-ready and be able to step directly into a role.
You will also receive a selection of learning materials, including access to a simulated aged care facility, and you can connect with other like-minded people and form lasting friendships and networks via the OpenSpace learning portal.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Assistant in Nursing
- Care Worker
- Community Care Worker
- Home Care Assistant
- Residential Care Worker
- Residential Support Worker
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
Maximum 12 months
There are no formal education entry requirements for this course.
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
Open Colleges has a work placement partnership with these organisation(s):
- Group Homes Australia recognises that today’s generation of older Australians want something more than traditional aged care homes. They, and their families, want accommodation that provides high levels of respect and personal care combined within a warm, friendly environment.
- Careseekers Pty Ltd aims to connect people looking for carers with carers who are qualified and ready to work. Careseekers knows that putting a carer in a client’s home is a big step, and understands that carers need to be trustworthy, of good character and experienced.
An application process applies to work placements with Open Colleges partners.
The course contains 120 hours of work placement:
A work placement is a highly stimulating and rewarding part of the course. It will enable you to participate in a real workplace and put into practice the new skills and knowledge that you are learning in the course.
You will need to undertake your work placement in residential aged care, home care environment or community support setting.
- Knowledge tests
- Workplace Portfolio
- Work with information about the human body
- Recognise and promote ways to support healthy functioning of the body
- Determine support needs
- Provide support services
- Monitor support activities
- Complete reporting and documentation
- Develop relationships with older people
- Provide services to older people
- Support the rights of older people
- Promote health and re-ablement of older people
- Communicate effectively with people
- Collaborate with colleagues
- Address constraints to communication
- Report problems to supervisor
- Complete workplace correspondence and documentation
- Contribute to continuous improvement
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)