Are you passionate about a career in caring for others? The CHC33021 Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing) is your gateway to becoming a skilled Care Worker in the aged care sector. As a professional in aged care, you’ll have the opportunity to make a meaningful difference, whether in a residential setting or within the community.
This course is tailored to equip you with the essential skills and knowledge required to excel in your role as a Care Worker. Additionally, it includes a Work Placement component, ensuring you gain hands-on experience and confidence in providing exceptional care to the elderly.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Community Support Worker
- Aged Care Worker
What You'll Learn
In this qualification, you will undertake a series of units designed to develop your skills as a professional aged care worker. These units will equip you with the knowledge and competencies required to excel in your role, emphasising compassion and ethics.
Throughout the course, you will have the opportunity to apply your learning in real-world settings during work placement. In the CHC33021 Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing), you will learn to:
- Recognise the functioning of healthy body systems
- Support and promote independence and well-being
- Empower older individuals in their journey
- Provide essential support to individuals living with dementia
In addition to these key skills, you’ll also acquire:
- Autonomy in your work
- Cultural sensitivity
- Conflict resolution abilities
- Complex problem-solving skills
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
Duration and Study Load
- This course is designed to be completed within 18 months
- There is no minimum timeframe to complete this course. Students who are highly motivated, well-organised, experienced and committed to making time to study can complete the qualification at an accelerated pace
There are no formal entry requirements for this course. To make sure you get the most out of training with us, the following enrolment process applies:
- Once you have inquired, one of our friendly Education Consultants will contact you to ensure you have the right pre-existing knowledge and skills to achieve your chosen qualification
- A short language, literacy and numeracy assessment will need to be completed upon enrolment
To successfully complete this course, we recommend the following:
- Have the ability to read and write in English and display numeracy skills up to a minimum level of Year 10
- Have access to a modern computer with high-speed internet
- Have access to a device with audio/video recording and playback capabilities
- Have basic computing skills, including the ability to make and upload short videos
By choosing Upskilled, you will gain access to supplementary resources that can help with your studies. These inclusions aim to enhance your online learning experience, making it interactive and engaging. These include:
- Access to Upskilled’s customised learning platform, MyUpskilled
- Student Support Team
- Core and specialist trainers
- Online tutorials
Video content access to:
- LinkedIn Learning
Show Off Your Achievements with Upskilled Digital Credentials!
Students who successfully complete their qualification receive a digital badge from Upskilled to display on LinkedIn and other social media platforms, your resume and more. Our sharable badges are portable, verifiable credentials that validate your knowledge, skills and experience in the area of your studies.
Since you worked hard to earn it – why not show everyone your accomplishments?
Role-Playing and Interactive Learning Activities
This course comes with Interactive Learning Activities. Upskilled understands the importance of practical experience, so to complement the theory components of your course, our specialist trainers may run ad-hoc Interactive Learning Activities.
You’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with other students – sharing questions, thoughts and ideas, as well as participating together in interactive learning activities.
While the Interactive Learning Activities are not mandatory, your participation is encouraged. You can receive some additional benefits and support, which may include:
- Having a study buddy where you can bounce off ideas and help each other with assessments.
- Online Classrooms where our specialist trainers can go over learning content that’s part of your course.
- Activities that relate to your assessments, which can help boost your knowledge and skills.
Additionally, role-playing is included in some of the learning areas of this course. It will also make up some of the practical elements of your assessments, including the assessments in your work placement.
For the CHC33021 Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing), the work placement requirements are as follows:
- If you are currently working in the disability industry, you are required to undertake a period of at least 120 hours of direct support work in at least one aged care, home and community, disability, or community service organisation, focusing on activities specified for CHCCCS040 – Support independence and wellbeing
- If you are not currently working in the disability industry, you are required to complete an additional ten (10) hours of work placement in addition to the 120 hours. This extra placement provides you with the opportunity to practice the specific skills required in the disability industry
This qualification will have you undertake work placement at a nominated host organisation approved by Upskilled.
Work placement has been specifically designed to help prepare you for potential career outcomes, giving you the opportunity to further implement and gain practical skills and valuable industry insights through a real-life workplace.
Your work placement will commence once you have completed most of the theory components of your course.
Here are some key requirements you should be aware of for the CHC33021 – Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing):
- If you are currently working in the disability industry, you are required to undertake a period of at least 120 hours of direct support work in at least one aged care, home and community, disability, or community service organisation, focusing on activities specified for CHCCCS040 – Support independence and wellbeing.
- If you are not currently working in the disability industry, you are required to complete an additional ten (10) hours of work placement in addition to the 120 hours. This extra placement provides you with the opportunity to practice the specific skills required in the disability industry.
- It is your responsibility to source a suitable host organisation for work placement. Please note that this can take up to several weeks, so it is recommended to allocate sufficient time when sourcing host suitable organisations.
- If you are unable to locate a host organisation, Upskilled’s Work Placement Officer can assist you in finding one. Please note that it is required to provide Upskilled with a list of host organisations who have declined your requests for work placement via MyUpskilled.
- Once you have successfully secured work placement with a host organisation, you will need to complete the Work Placement Agreement Form and submit via MyUpskilled. Please note that Upskilled must approve the Work Placement Agreement before you start your work placement.
To meet the work placement requirements for this course, you may need to undertake placement within 2 organisations to allow exposure to both residential aged care and community care settings.
Recognition of Prior Learning
- You may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Credit Transfer (CT) provided that you have supporting evidence of any prior education and work experience. This can either reduce your study load or shorten the duration of your course. Prior to enrolment, please speak with your Education Consultant for further details
- After enrolment, you can download the application from MyUpskilled, or on request from Student Support. A trainer will be assigned to assess your eligibility for RPL and/or CT
- This course will have you undertake summative and formative assessments, write reports and/or create a portfolio, and participate in role-playing scenarios. You’ll also be working on a variety of projects that require your own research as well as answering various written/oral questions that apply the theory you learn into practice
If you successfully complete the CHC33021 – Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing), you may be able to pursue the following related qualifications:
- CHC52021 – Diploma of Community Services (Case Management)
Upskilled is Australia’s pre-eminent provider of qualifications at certificate and diploma level. We specialise in the online delivery of nationally accredited courses in key industries, ensuring that every learning experience is an investment in career opportunity. Upskilled is proud to be synonymous with outcomes that skill the economy, support the community, and reward our graduates on both a personal and professional level.
At the heart of Upskilled is a commitment to exploring the training opportunities made possible by the digital age. As the internet revolutionises the educational playing field, the rules of student engagement must evolve just as quickly.
Upskilled understands that instant access does not equate to instant knowledge. We understand that a new kind of student requires a new style of learning.
At its heart, learning is an interaction. For that reason, the tools that deliver effective skills learning must be interactive too. By understanding how people systemise information effectively, Upskilled has been able to develop online programs that make study natural, rewarding, and fun.
Upskilled Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 40374)