This course is for people who follow an individualised plan to provide person-centred support to people who may require support due to ageing or disability. It will help learners develop the knowledge and skills to effectively work in a facility or home while taking responsibility for a patient. The learning will be practical and hands-on, giving learners useful workplace skills.
This course also provides essential cross-industry skills for all types of organisations. This is underpinned with the inclusion of training in soft skills such as communication, problem-solving and time management skills.
Our industry professionals will cover topics such as:
- Work with diverse people
- Workplace effectiveness
- Communication in health or community services
- Recognise healthy body systems
- Work practices for direct client care
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Care Support Worker
- Personal Care Assistant
- Health Support Worker
- Aged Care Worker
- In-Home Respite Worker
- Community Care Worker
- Nurses Aide
- Family Support Worker
- Disability Support Worker
- Transport Support Worker
What You'll Learn
A very attractive feature of this qualification is the ability to choose your specialty to move into once you have completed the core units.
You can choose the following:
- Aged Care
- Disability Care
- Home and Community care
This course will take learners from beginner to professional Support Worker. Students will get a solid education in the fundamentals of Individual Support and will graduate job-ready.
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- The duration of the course is twenty-four (24) months. If you are completing the course via correspondence the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependant on ability and time available
Students have twenty-four (24) months to complete the course. The delivery modes provide the students with support through their studies by a team of experienced trainers and assessors, who are on hand to answer any questions you have and provide feedback on your progress.
- Correspondence: Acacia understands the need for flexibility when studying therefore we also offer the course via correspondence. Students will complete the written assessments in their own time and one of our experienced trainers will meet with the student, where necessary, to perform practical and simulated assessments (Note: To be able to complete the course via correspondence, students must be employed within the industry)
- Classroom: Training and assessment takes place in a classroom and involves discussions and group activities. Classroom-based training also requires some self-directed learning, where further study and assessment activities are done by participants in their own time
There are a number of statutory checks that may be required by workplaces, for this reason, candidates must pass a Police Check, Working with Children Check and a Vaccination Check (where required). Students may also be required to sign a Code of Conduct and Confidentiality Agreement.
In addition, individual workplaces may impose additional requirements on students undertaking work placement. The student will be responsible for the costs associated with any such checks or requirements.
Whilst it is not a requirement to hold a current First Aid Certificate to undertake a work placement in the industry, workplaces have the right to request this. Speak with an Acacia representative about obtaining a First Aid Certificate through Acacia Group.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification
- Applicants will need to be at least 15 years old. If under 18 years of age the enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian
- All applicants will be required to undertake a Language, Literacy and Numeracy assessment prior to entry into the course. The purpose of this assessment is to determine whether you may require additional support in order to complete the course successfully
- Applicants will be required to complete a Pre-Training Review. This involves a set of questions from our Student Support team during a brief over the phone interview
- Students will require basic computing skills in order to complete the training
Students have access to trainer support throughout the duration of their course, whether they are studying in classroom-based sessions, correspondence or online. Our experienced trainers are available to answer any questions students may have regarding the learning materials and assessments. The appointed trainer can be contacted via email, skype or phone, the student will be provided with these contact details on course commencement.
The administrative team is available during business hours (9 am – 5 pm) Mondays to Fridays and can assist students with all administrative enquiries or issues, including enrolment, change of contact details, class schedules, online learning and certification. The administrative team can be contacted via email or phone.
- Students are required to complete a minimum of 120 hours of work placement at an approved care facility. Work placement is the part of the course where students learn and are assessed in a place of work related to the course which has been approved by Acacia Group. Acacia may be able to arrange or assist the student in finding suitable work placement in their local area
Recognition of Prior Learning
Acacia understands that you may already have many skills and areas of expertise that you have obtained in different ways and these are recognised through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
All students are entitled to apply for recognition in the course or qualification in which they are enrolled. This application should be made as soon as possible after enrolment. The aim of getting recognition is to avoid the completion of unnecessary learning activities in which a learner is already competent, by the provider assessing and acknowledging the skills and knowledge the student has acquired through formal and informal learning.
- The methods in which students are assessed may include theory-based assessments, case studies, projects and observations
- This qualification is ungraded. Successful students will receive a qualification which shows their level of achievement for each unit as Competent unless Credit Transfer of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)* is granted for any units, in which case that will be indicated instead
- Every assessment must be successfully completed to demonstrate competency in each unit
- If you do not successfully complete an assessment, you will be given the opportunity to undertake a second assessment at another time
- If the student is completing the training via correspondence will require access to a computer with internet and Microsoft Office (or equivalent), software installed and a printer. All other necessary training and assessment materials will be provided
- If the student is completing the training in one of our classroom-based sessions all necessary training and assessment materials and computer-based equipment will be provided
About Acacia Education & Training
Acacia Group is a community-based Registered Training Organisation delivering quality training across NSW for over a decade. We provide a wide range of training opportunities across a range of industries and have access to many Government funded training initiatives. Our training includes nationally accredited qualifications, full qualifications, part qualifications – skill sets and skills groups and traineeships. We also offer non-accredited training such as soft skills and professional development. Our goal is to share our industry knowledge and provide NSW communities and businesses with the information and skills to succeed within their chosen industry.
Acacia Education & Training is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO#91469)