Have you ever considered becoming a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) or Aged or Disabled Carer? If you enjoy caring for people, have a sensitive and compassionate nature, and a desire for satisfying work, then working as a personal carer in the aged care, home care or disability sector either in residential centres, community settings or clients’ homes may be for you.
This qualification provides a career path into a professional aged care or health career. With Phillips Institute, you will complete class-based training with skills and knowledge classes before starting an industry-based practical placement found and organised for you by us.
We deliver residential aged care, home and community care, or disability specialisations for this qualification.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Personal Care Assistant
- Home Care
- Disability Support Worker
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- Course duration is 22 weeks of classes for full-time intake, or 28 weeks for part-time intake, with up to one year to complete all course requirements. If you have previous skills, knowledge or experience, you may be able to complete this course in a shorter time frame
- No minimum education is required, however your ability to communicate well in spoken and written English is very important for working in caring and support roles and is necessary to successfully complete the course requirements. You must also be able to read and interpret information and use basic numeracy skills to the level expected in the workplace. The training we provide will focus on developing your skills so that you will be ready for working in this important and growing sector
- All applicants must provide a copy of a current National Police Check before commencing the placement. It will not be possible to start your placement until this check is received. Some organisations may also require you to obtain a Volunteer Working with Children Check
- In addition, some organisations will expect you to meet immunisation requirements prior to starting your placement, for example, Influenza immunisation is commonly required for work in aged care, home care and disability services. Further information about these requirements will be given at orientation and induction
- This is a key component of your course where you will put everything you have learned into practice! If you already have a placement organisation in mind, such as a residential aged care facility close to where you live, you may be able to organise your own placement. But remember, you do not have to set up your own placement – we will do all the organising for you – and we will endeavour to find a placement for you as close to your home as possible
Recognition of Prior Learning
- If you’re already working in a relevant role, or have previous skills, knowledge and experience, you may be eligible for some recognition of your existing competency. You might also be interested in upskilling with our CHC43015 Certificate IV in Ageing Support. You may only need to do eight units if you already hold the CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support, meaning reduced study time and reduced cost!
About Phillips Institute
Our courses are nationally recognised, which means you receive the accredited training and current skills for the workplace that employers expect.
We offer government-funded training to eligible applicants for most courses, and we even offer easy payment plans whether you’re funded or paying the full fee.
Class-based, facilitator-led training, with day, evening and weekend classes for Certificate III and Certificate IV programs. We also offer blended flexible learning, with online or print-based options for Certificate IV and Diploma programs.
If your course requires a placement, we will assist to source and organise one for you as close to your home as possible. This is a service we’ve been offering to our students for over 20 years.
Dedicated, professional educators with current industry knowledge and skills, and extensive training experience, ready to assist you to take the next step. And because we consult regularly with employer organisations, the training we deliver is what the industry expects.
Phillips Institute is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO #21868)