- This course is only available to Australian Citizens or Permanent Residents
Are you compassionate and wanting to make a difference?
Our CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support is a course designed for those wanting to help care for vulnerable people that need assistance. To be an individual support worker, you should possess a sense of compassion and empathy with strong communication skills that will allow you to make that vital connection with those you will be taking care of.
Our individual Support course has been designed to suit the Ageing, Home and Community Care streams.
If you are looking for employment in a growing industry, then there is expected to be plenty of positions for a qualified personal care worker. With the Department of Social Services advising they expect Australia’s disability workforce to double by 2020 and the Productivity Commission stating aged care growth expected to increase from 366,000 to 980,000 workers by 2050, there is definite opportunity available to have a long lasting career in this field.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Personal Care Assistant
- Home Carer
- Nursing Assistant
- Community Resident Support Worker
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 7 months (average)
- 36 virtual classroom sessions – 2 x 2 hours per week
- 5 full-day practical skills class at our Melbourne campus
- 1 full-day First Aid training
Face to Face Delivery
- 10 months (average)
- 29 face-to-face sessions – 1 x 4 hour class per week
- The ability to travel to and from placements – placement hours can be early starts
- Access to a computer or smart device and the internet to complete your studies
- Ability to obtain a police check prior to placement in an aged care facility
- The required Language, Literacy and Numeracy skills to complete a Certificate III level course. This will be assessed in your pre-training review during enrolment
Practical placement is on the job training that you undertake during your course. This is a fantastic opportunity to practice the skills you are learning in the classroom in a supported manner.
MCFE requires you to complete 120 hours in the workplace in total and your trainer will visit you in the workplace to discuss any questions you have or go over training, and to observe and assess competency in skills towards the end of your placement hours.
Recognition of Prior Learning
You can ask for your relevant existing skills, qualifications and experiences to be assessed and taken into account when your level of competency is being evaluated. There will be a cost associated, refer to the statement of fees and charges.
If you have previously completed a unit with the same code as your new course, you will be eligible for a credit transfer and you will not have to repeat that unit. There is no cost associated with this process.
About Melbourne College of Further Education
Melbourne College of Further Education (MCFE) is a small and trusted RTO with over 20 years’ experience in training, supporting and inspiring students to succeed in their chosen pathway. We believe in real skills for real jobs, we take the extra time to customise our course materials and create new and innovative ways of delivering course content.
As a Registered Training Organisation [RTO] qualifications completed with MCFE are recognised nationally. Qualifications achieved through the Australian VET system are also very highly regarded internationally. Our mission is to provide pathways into industry to contribute to a successful, skilled and innovative workforce.
MCFE offers high quality training both face to face and via a blended online model, offering students options to undertake our courses in a way that best suits their lifestyle.
Our trainers are dedicated and highly qualified with extensive practical industry experience and committed to providing quality outcomes to our students and ensuring that all training is both engaging and an enjoyable experience.
Our student support team are extremely passionate and committed to helping students succeed. They are always on hand to help with any questions and provide students with the support they may need to complete the course satisfactorily, especially if circumstances change.
Melbourne College of Further Education is a trading name of iAscend Polytechnic (RTO 21340)