When you undertake this specialist course you will train with some of the best pastry chefs in the business. You will learn the art of preparing and producing yeast goods, pastries, bakery products for patisseries, marzipan work, petit fours, gateaux, tortes, cakes and sugar work.
You can choose to study full-time on campus and complete the single patisserie qualification or continue on and study the SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery in order to gain two qualifications and boost your employability. If you are already a qualified chef with a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery you can complete your patisserie qualification with just a few more units. Or if you already work in the industry you can choose to learn your patisserie skills on-the-job with your employer, along with support from our trainers and assessors.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Cook or pastry cook
- Pastry chef
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
Full-time: Attendance is established upon enrolment. At least 20 hours per week for 1 year
Traineeship: as arranged with employer
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon will utilise Gordon Online, our digital learning management system. Classes will be delivered using audio-visual delivery methods to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation.
- Applicants must be 16 years and over at the time of course commencement
- Any student under the age of 17 must provide a Transition from School form prior to undertaking this course.
- Applicants are expected to have literacy and numeracy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3
- Bridging course applicants are expected to have completed a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer
When you are attending full time on campus you will gain hands-on training in our specialist kitchens with state-of-the-art equipment. Alternatively you will learn on the job with your employer.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Industry placement
All practical patisserie classes require a uniform and some specialist equipment.
Materials fee: $1,505
- Study full-time on-campus
- Add to your current cook’s qualification
- Undertake a traineeship
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)