- This course is eligible for JobTrainer in 2021
Would you like to be a vital team member in the medical profession? Then this course is for you! Sterile processing technicians work hard to prevent infections and other possible medical complications, they are so vital that most modern medical facilities would have a difficult time functioning without them.
During this course you will learn how to manage the sterilisation of equipment in a sterilisation service or reprocessing area as well as infection prevention and control policies and procedures, workplace health and safety, and how to interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Sterilisation Technician
- Sterile Instrument Technician
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- Part-time: 1 year
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants must be aged 17 years or over at the time of course commencement
- Working with Children Check & Police Check required for industry work placement
- Interview required
- Applicants are expected to have literacy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 and numeracy skills at Year 10 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2
Work placement is required in this course, organised by the Gordon. You will attend 1 day per week, over 18 weeks and placement will occur at a local hospital. A current and approved Police Check dated in the year of your course, is required. *Please note that you may be required to travel outside of your usual training location to attend placement. This may include other regional areas or suburbs of Melbourne.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Case Studies
- Question and Answers
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)