- This course is part of the Victorian Government’s Free TAFE initiative. Enquire now to see if you are eligible
If you have a keen interest in tourism, can see yourself as a team player and believe you have excellent customer service, a career in the tourism industry could be for you.
This six-month course will help you get into the industry, providing you with the skills to work in businesses like tour operators, inbound tour operators, visitor information centres, attractions, cultural and heritage sites.
This hands-on course will allow you to grow your local and regional tourism knowledge, with on-site and off-site teaching activities across regional Victoria. Upon completion, you will be ready to further your studies or step into a new career in your local tourism sector. Pathways include a broad variety of employers within the tourism industry sector including tour operators, inbound tour operators, visitor information centres, attractions, cultural and heritage sites, and any small tourism business. This qualification allows for multi-skilling and for specialisation in office-based roles involving the planning and coordination of tourism services, or roles in the field where products are delivered.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Adventure tourism guide
- Attendant/senior ride operator in an attraction or theme park
- Booking agent
- Cellar door salesperson and guide in a winery
- Inbound tour coordinator
- Marine tourism guide or dive tour operator
- Museum attendant
- Operations consultant for a tour operator
- Sales consultant
- Visitor information officer
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 6 months (3 days per week)
- 1-2 days per week
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Aged 17 years or over
- Literacy skills to at least Year 11 level or equivalent
- Numeracy skills to at least Year 10 level or equivalent
- Hands-on work
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
- Team projects
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)