This qualification could help you plan a career in a community services role that specialises in helping people deal with their drug and alcohol issues. It will prepare you to enter the workforce in a community services role and will give you the skills to deal with clients who are facing a variety of problems related to drugs and/or alcohol. This qualification can be done as a stand-alone course, or to supplement further study and provide an area of specialisation to gain a specific job role.
This comprehensive certificate focuses on the two main areas of demand in the alcohol and other drugs sector: outreach work and community work. Gain skills to begin a career where your specialised knowledge will be relevant across a variety of community services settings such as mental health and youth work. A work placement is included to give you real life experience to ensure you are job ready upon graduation.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Accommodation support worker
- Community support worker
- Residential care worker
- Disability service officer
- Support worker
- Mental Health Worker
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 12 month
- 80 hours work placement
- Upskilled’s fully customised online learning platform, MyUpskilled
- Student Rewards Program
- Student Support Services
- Your trainer via the trainer/student messaging system
- Webinars; both live and recorded sessions
- Video content access via:
This qualification requires a minimum of 80 hours to be completed in a suitable counselling or community services environment, supervised by qualified staff.
Upskilled will secure your work placement, ensuring we can provide an environment in which you can be successful in the course.
During your placement, an Upskilled workplace assessor will visit you to observe you performing some of your assessment tasks.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Upskilled is ready to help you leverage previous study and relevant work experience to accelerate your progress towards a Nationally Recognised qualification.
- Summative and formative assignments
- Written reports and/or portfolio assessments
- Scenarios and/or case studies
- Written/oral questions
- This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to establish and work within the current context, philosophy and values of the alcohol and other drugs (AOD) sector
- This unit describes the skills and knowledge to apply specific communication techniques to establish, build and maintain relationships with clients, colleagues and other stakeholders based on respect and trust
- This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to work respectfully with people from diverse social and cultural groups and situations, including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to identify and work within the legal and ethical frameworks that apply to an individual job role
- This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to promote the principles of recovery-oriented practice, and to establish and confirm self-directed recovery relationships with people with mental illness
Upskilled is Australia’s pre-eminent provider of qualifications at certificate and diploma level. We specialise in the online delivery of nationally accredited courses in key industries, ensuring that every learning experience is an investment in career opportunity. Upskilled is proud to be synonymous with outcomes that skill the economy, support the community, and reward our graduates on both a personal and professional level.
At the heart of Upskilled is a commitment to exploring the training opportunities made possible by the digital age. As the internet revolutionises the educational playing field, the rules of student engagement must evolve just as quickly.
Upskilled understands that instant access does not equate to instant knowledge. We understand that a new kind of student requires a new style of learning.
At its heart, learning is an interaction. For that reason, the tools that deliver effective skills learning must be interactive too. By understanding how people systemise information effectively, Upskilled has been able to develop online programs that make study natural, rewarding, and fun.
Upskilled Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 40374)