Do you have an interest in the environment, enjoy being outdoors and hands-on? Would you like to further your study to gain a career in the natural resource management industry? This practical, hands-on course provides a solid grounding in environmental and natural resource management with an emphasis on technical skills for field work.
Each study day is different and you will spend a great deal of time outside the classroom. You will be travelling on regular field trips to our fantastic State and National Parks, coastal environments and catchment areas, increasing your employability skills and gaining industry contacts.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Revegetation officer
- Park ranger
- Ecotourism officer
- Catchment management officer
- Landcare coordinator
- Flora and fauna management officer
- Fire management officer
- Community engagement officer
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- East Geelong
Duration and Study Load
- Full-time: 1 year
- Part-time: 2 yrs
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants must be aged 17 or over at the time of course commencement
- Applicants are expected to have literacy and numeracy skills to at least Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3
Work placement is not required in this course but recommended, with an option to undertake 45 hours of work or volunteer placement, organised by the student. *If placement is undertaken, please note that you may be required to travel outside of your usual training location to attend placement. This may include other regional areas or suburbs of Melbourne.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)