If you are looking to develop a career in the IT industry, love new technology and are seeking employment in Cyber Security – this is the course for you.
The course is a technician level qualification providing graduates with a comprehensive set of technical skills enabling them to:
- Monitor the risk of Cyber Security attacks
- Implement appropriate software
- Use a range of tools and procedures to mitigate Cyber Security threats
- Protect an organisation from insider security breaches
- Develop systems to minimise network vulnerabilities and risks
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Security Operations Centre (SOC) Analyst
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Networking Security Support officer
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 12 months
- Approx 22 hours per week
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon will utilise Gordon Online, our digital learning management system. Classes will be delivered using audio-visual delivery methods to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation.
Entrance Requirements/Pre Requisites
Students are to be 17 years of age or above and the Gordon recommends that applicants have either completed:
- Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology
VETDiS program in Information, Digital Media and Technology
- VCE provided they had completed VCE Information, Digital Media and Technology, Units 1 -4
- Or Demonstrated, minimum of 2 years experience in the ICT industry
Personal Learning Requirements
There are personal learning requirements for each qualification at The Gordon. These are essential personal capabilities and skills required to successfully complete the course and be ready to work in the industry.
The Gordon is committed to ensuring all students have access to the educational and support services they may need while studying. We do this by carrying out a pretraining review that is integrated with the application and enrolment process. For most courses, this review also includes a short literacy and numeracy assessment relevant to the course. The outcomes of the pretraining review assist our teachers and trainers to better understand each student’s capabilities prior to training and enable all students to be matched to the right program for them.
Literacy and Numeracy
Applicants are expected to have an appropriate level of literacy and numeracy skills, which will be evaluated via a literacy and numeracy assessment during the application process.
In order to prepare for your LLN, you may wish to attempt some practise tests in which you will find similar questions (with solutions too). These practice tests are not VSL approved but may be similar in question type and level of difficulty to what may be asked in the VSL approved LLN.
Assessment for this course will be based on:
- Hands-on work
- Written assignments
- Laboratory Journal portfolios
- Research projects
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)