Do you want to work in a classroom? The Certificate IV in Education Support is the highest level teacher aide course for anyone seeking a career as an education support worker in an Australian school.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Teacher Aide in schools, preschools/kindergartens
- Education Support staff
- Education Assistant (special needs, language/literacy, cultural support)
- School Age Care Assistant Educator (vacation care, OSHC, Kindergarten)
- Inclusion Support
- Special School Teacher Aide
- SSO or School Support Officer
- Education Support Worker
- Learning Support Officer or Classroom Assistant
What You'll Learn
- Supporting children to develop social skills
- Supporting activities to enhance the physical, social, emotional and intellectual development of children
- Setting up indoor and outdoor learning opportunities and activities
- Supporting the academic studies of children with intellectual, physical and behavioural difficulties
- Preparing printed materials required to support teaching
- Supporting cultural awareness
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 9 months
- 100 hours of work placement
There are no formal pre-requisites for this course
Students must complete a Pre-Training Review, meet the Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) skill standards for Certificate IV level study and demonstrate that they are a suitable candidate for this course.
Age at Commencement
It is recommended that students have attained the age of 18 by the course commencement date.
MCIE welcomes people with disabilities to apply. Approval will be subject to the person being able to undertake all tasks and requirements of the course.
All participants require a Unique Student Identification (USI) number.
- 100 hours
- MCIE Work-placement Officers will facilitate the work placement for students into an education environment
- It is a requirement that students obtain the following prior to commencing practical placement
- Working with Children Check (minimum level required ‘voluntary’ which is at no cost)
Recognition of Prior Learning
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT) are available
- Students must successfully complete all assessment activities including written assessment, scenario, roleplay, portfolio, workplace-based tasks and assessor observations
17 units (12 core & 5 electives)
About Melbourne City Institute of Education
MCIE is a vibrant Melbourne based Registered Training Organisation (RTO) with focus is on student support. MCIE has helped students fulfil their career goals in hospitality, early childhood education, aged care, leadership & management and business. Our students receive career-focused training that is industry driven to achieve best practice job ready outcomes. Industry consultation ensures the curriculum delivers the right skills, knowledge, and experiences that support students with vocational and employment goals.
Melbourne City Institute of Education is a trading name of Melbourne City Institute of Education Pty. Ltd. as Trustee for MCIE Unit Trust which is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 22172)