The Certificate IV in Engineering has been designed for existing engineering tradespersons along with apprentices who choose to study at a higher level. The job role involves application of additional skills in the learners’ trade or cross skills from other trades
This qualification defines the skills and knowledge required for a higher engineering tradesperson within metal, engineering, manufacturing and associated industries.
The skills associated with this qualification are intended to apply to a wide range of engineering work undertaken in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, casting and moulding, computer numerically controlled (CNC) programming, fluid power, heavy fabrication, instrumentation, maintenance, plant mechanics, marine electronics, mechatronics, patternmaking, robotics, toolmaking, welding and watch and clock services and repair, including post-trade work.
It provides the skills and knowledge for a person to understand and implement quality control techniques, exercise good interpersonal and communications skills, work from complex instructions and procedures, exercise discretion within the scope of responsibility, perform work under limited supervision either individually or in a team environment, be responsible for assuring the quality of their own work, provide trade guidance and assistance as part of a work team, perform non-trade tasks which are incidental or peripheral to the primary tasks and facilitate the completion of the whole task, inspect products and/or materials for conformity with established operational standards, operate lifting equipment incidental to their work and assists in the provision of training in conjunction with supervisors and trainers.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Fitter and turner
- Diesel mechanic
- Hydraulic technician
- Refrigeration and air conditioning
- Mechanic engineer
- Fluid power systems technician
- Electrical engineer
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 2 Years
- Flexible – online, onsite, on campus
Students undertaking an apprenticeship.
Students undertaking an apprenticeship under state funding are required by the relevant state funding authority and need to:
- Be employed in an industry workplace;
- Have access to workplace equipment as part of their training and assessment; and
- Have access to workplace Supervisors as part of their training and assessment
- Outsource requires that fee-for-services students must be employed with access to a workplace, but they do not need industry experience. There is no need for students to have access to a Supervisor, and they could in fact be Supervisors themselves.
- Pre-requisite units or qualifications
- There are pre-requisite units that students must hold prior to undertaking particular units in the qualification. Those units are listed on the qualification information page on training.gov.au
- This course contains practical components which are required to be undertaken in the workplace
Recognition of Prior Learning
- You may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Credit Transfer (CT) provided that you have supporting evidence of any prior education and work experience. This can either reduce your study load or shorten the duration of your course. After enrolment, you’ll need to contact Student Support so they can arrange a dedicated trainer to assess your eligibility for either RPL or CT
- This course contains a blend of both theory and practical assessments. When completing the theoretical questions, you will be answering questions that require your own thoughts and input from the concepts covered. You’ll also work on scenario-based projects and have the opportunity to build your own portfolio containing digital assets (photography, audio, video, text), which can be used when applying for jobs and/or demonstrating professional competency
- To ensure that you’re able to seamlessly access our online learning and assessment materials you’ll need access to a modern computer with high-speed internet. You’ll also need to possess basic computing skills, and may be required to complete a Language Literacy and Numeracy skills assessment before enrolment can be confirmed
Please note the packaging rules: To be awarded the MEM40119 Certificate IV in Engineering units of competency to a value of 132 points must be achieved, chosen as outlined below: Completion of core units of competency (totalling 33 points) Completion of elective units of competency to a minimum value of 12 points from Group A Completion of elective units of competency to a maximum value of 87 points from Group B to bring the total value to 132 points. Appropriate Group B elective units to the value of 14 points may be chosen from this Training Package, other endorsed Training Packages and accredited courses where those units are available for inclusion in Certificate III and Certificate IV qualifications. Only select units that would be suitable for occupational outcomes in a higher engineering trade environment.
About Outsource Institute (AUS)
Outsource Institute is a fully Australian owned Metals and Engineering training provider (RTO- registered training organisation) the learning environment we use is your workplace.
Having partnered with industry for over 20 years, we are at the forefront of what skills and knowledge is needed in the metals and engineering sector and we make it our business to deliver it both directly and through industry partnerships with Weld Australia, Custom Fluid Power, SMC Corporation (Australia) Pty Ltd and Workforce Success.
These established industry partnerships offer a complete solution to all your needs in:
- WELDING SUPERVISION TICKET 10, AS 1796-2001 PRESSURE VESSELS AND AS 2214-2004 STRUCTURAL STEEL
- WELDING CERTIFICATES TICKETS 1 TO 9 AS 1796-2001
- REFRIGERATION AND AIR CONDITIONING
- FLUID POWER
- AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL TECHNOLOGY
- MOBILE PLANT TECHNOLOGY
- HEAVY COMMERCIAL VEHICLE MECHANICAL TECHNOLOGY
Specialised skill sets
- ADVANCED HYDRAULICS
- AIR CONDITIONING
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT
Outsource Institute of Technology Pty Ltd is Registered Training Organisation (RTO #31560)