- This course is part of the Victorian Government’s Free TAFE initiative. Enquire now to see if you are eligible
Would you like to coordinate health and leisure activities and programs for clients in a range of sectors? This course equips you with the skills and knowledge to participate in the design, implementation and evaluation of these programs.
The course includes a combination of class theory and work placement which builds your skills and knowledge, as well as your practical industry experience. Throughout the course, you will learn to work effectively in the leisure and health industries, and contribute to the programming for clients with complex needs. You will also build your knowledge of safe work practices, lifespan development and sociological concepts, communication and relationship building and professional practices.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Recreation officer in aged care/community facility
What You'll Learn
Throughout the course, you will learn to work effectively in the leisure and health industries and contribute to the programming for clients with complex needs. You will also build your knowledge of:
- Safe work practices
- Lifespan development and sociological concepts
- Communication and relationship building
- Professional practices
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
Part-time – 10 months
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon will utilise Gordon Online, our digital learning management system. Classes will be delivered using audio-visual delivery methods to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation.
- Applicants must be aged 17 or over at the time of course commencement
- Applicants are expected to have literacy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 and numeracy skills at Year 10 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2
- Police Check required for industry placement
This qualification requires 120 hours of mandatory placement which boosts your work experience and skills. Hours for placement will reflect hours worked in the industry.
You will require a Police Check prior to commencing work placement, dated in the year of your course. You will also require suitable, neat attire including a polo shirt, black pants and flat, enclosed, non-slip shoes.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
- Team projects
You can expect to attend classes two days per week (9.00am – 4.00pm) over six months from April until September. Your work placement will then be conducted from October – December.
Work in the industry and learn your skills on-the-job with your employer, along with support from our trainers and assessors.
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)