Diagnosed mental health issues are on the rise in Australia, so there is a need for more mental health workers in the community services industry. This qualification will allow you to develop the specialist skills to work with clients with a mental health illness. Including a work placement, this comprehensive certificate will give you the job-ready skills you need to find employment in the sector, whether as a stand-alone qualification or as a supplement to a degree.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Accommodation support worker
- Community support worker
- Residential care worker
- Disability service officer
- Support worker
- Mental Health Worker
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 12 months
- 80 hours of work placement
- Upskilled’s fully customised online learning platform, MyUpskilled
- Student Rewards Program
- Student Support Services
- Your trainer via the trainer/student messaging system
- Webinars; both live and recorded sessions
- Video content access via:
This qualification requires a minimum of 80 hours to be completed in a suitable Counselling or Community Services Environment, supervised by qualified staff.
Upskilled will secure your work placement, ensuring we can provide an environment in which you can be successful in the course. During your placement, an Upskilled workplace assessor will visit you to observe you performing some of your assessment tasks.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Upskilled is ready to help you leverage previous study and relevant work experience to accelerate your progress towards a Nationally Recognised qualification.
- Summative and formative assignments
- Written reports and/or portfolio assessments
- Scenarios and/or case studies
- Written/oral questions
- This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to work respectfully with people from diverse social and cultural groups and situations, including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- The unit describes the skills and knowledge required to identify Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety issues in the workplace, model cultural safety in own work practice, and develop strategies to enhance cultural safety
- This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to work collaboratively in providing services to implement a range of strategies as part of recovery oriented service provision for people with mental illness
- This unit describes the skills and knowledge to identify and manage immediate suicide risk and work with the individual to achieve safe outcomes
- This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to recognise situations where people may be in imminent crisis, and then to work collaboratively to minimise any safety concerns and make plans to access required support services
Upskilled is Australia’s pre-eminent provider of qualifications at certificate and diploma level. We specialise in the online delivery of nationally accredited courses in key industries, ensuring that every learning experience is an investment in career opportunity. Upskilled is proud to be synonymous with outcomes that skill the economy, support the community, and reward our graduates on both a personal and professional level.
At the heart of Upskilled is a commitment to exploring the training opportunities made possible by the digital age. As the internet revolutionises the educational playing field, the rules of student engagement must evolve just as quickly.
Upskilled understands that instant access does not equate to instant knowledge. We understand that a new kind of student requires a new style of learning.
At its heart, learning is an interaction. For that reason, the tools that deliver effective skills learning must be interactive too. By understanding how people systemise information effectively, Upskilled has been able to develop online programs that make study natural, rewarding, and fun.
Upskilled Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 40374)