The Certificate IV in Photography and Photo Imaging gives you the technical skills and business acumen you need to successfully establish or enhance your career in photography. From Adobe Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC, to how to promote your work online, you’ll get a full understanding of how to make your mark in today’s digital photography industry.
The course is developed around key industry trends, particularly focusing on skills in emerging digital technologies and the rise of social media in the photographic industry – giving graduates the practical and technical skills to create great work and also the business know-how to effectively promote it.
According to Australian Government Job Outlook, the number of people working as Photographers (in their main job) grew very strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to grow over the next 5 years from 13,600 in 2018 to 14,300 by 2023.
Who's It For?
This course is ideal if you want to start a career in photography. It’s also the best choice if digital photography is a big part of your current role and you are keen to learn more, or perhaps you’re an established photographer looking to update your skills.
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation as you may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and may be able to complete your studies faster.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Assistant Technician Photo Production
- Freelance Photographer
- Photo-Equipment Sales Assistant
- Photographer’s Assistant
- Sole Trader in photographic products and services
What You'll Learn
During the course you will learn:
- About the history and various genres of photography
- How to build a marketable portfolio of work throughout the course to demonstrate your skills and creativity to potential clients and employers
- Pre-production, production and post-production workflow processes
- How to respond to a client’s brief
- Colour management and lighting effects and develop advanced skills in Adobe Photoshop CC and Lightroom Classic CC
- Current marketing, social media and business practices to help you promote your work effectively
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
The duration for the course is a maximum 18 months. As a self-paced online course, the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependent on ability and time available.
- You will graduate from the course with an online portfolio of work to present to prospective employers and clients. Your portfolio will showcase your ideas and ability to meet the brief and business strategies of your client, resolve issues and communicate the design process and concept effectively
- The course content is current and relevant, and is both written and approved by industry experts. We have taken the knowledge and insights of industry professionals, including Photographers, Editors and Art Directors and built this engaging course around them
- The Certificate IV in Photography and Photo Imaging offers all the knowledge you need to start working in the industry, including both technical and creative aspects to help you develop your practical photography skills, as well as your own unique style
- You’ll also learn how to market your work – a key skill when building a successful business. The course includes business, social media and marketing units to help you self-promote your work and break into the industry
Recognition of Prior Learning
We understand that you may already have many skills and areas of expertise that you have obtained in different ways and these are recognised through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
Open Colleges has developed an RPL application kit for this course.
The Student Handbook, available in the Key Student Information section of our website, provides more information about our RPL process. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
- Portfolio of evidence
- Short-answer questions
- Written reports
- Research history and theory
- Link research to own arts practice
- Update and maintain knowledge of trends in own arts practice
- Research information on colour theory and design processes
- Communicate ideas through the application of colour and design theory
- Evaluate design work
- Set up lighting for photo shoot
- Light subjects
- Capture images
- Complete post-shoot activities
- Plan image output
- Prepare for analog or digital work
- Enhance and manipulate images
- Output images
- Complete post-shoot activities
- Source and apply industry information
- Update and maintain industry knowledge
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)