- This course is eligible for JobTrainer in 2021
This Veterinary Nursing course supports the role of a veterinary nurse who provides nursing care to animals, supports veterinarians during medical and surgical procedures, and who also helps clients to maintain the health of their animals.
As a participant of this course, you will need access to patients (animals), clients, medical and surgical cases, veterinary staff, and practice policies and procedures.
Applicants must hold a Certificate II or Certificate III in Animal Studies / Companion Animal Services or hold a relevant Certificate III or higher level qualification in an animal science discipline or be able to demonstrate equivalent skills and knowledge in a relevant animal science discipline.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Veterinary nurse
- Vet clinic manager
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- East Geelong
Duration and Study Load
- Full-time: 18 months (1-2 days per week)
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants must hold a Certificate II or Certificate III in Animal Studies / Companion Animal Services or hold a relevant Certificate III or higher level qualification in an animal science discipline or be able to demonstrate equivalent skills and knowledge in a relevant animal science discipline
- Self-sourced work placement with a Veterinary Practice enabling 240 hours of mandatory work placement. Evidence of secured work placement required
- Applicants must be 17 years or over at the time of course commencement
- Applicants are expected to have literacy and numeracy skills to at least Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer
240 hours of work placement is required in this course. Placement is organised by the student and must be in a in a veterinary practice.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)