Do you have a passion for working and caring for children and adolescents? Would you like to understand the thoughts and behaviours of children so you can be a greater help to them? Do you want to be able to identify common mental health disorders seen in children and adolescents and know ways you can help treat them? Then this course is for you.
This foundation introductory course is designed with the aim to help you understand childhood depression, anxiety and eating problems, and other common mental health disorders. You will discover how infants and children develop (socially, cognitively, sexually, morally), how they acquire language, and different types of learning. In addition, you will also learn about developmental disorders including pervasive developmental disorders such as autism spectrum disorder (which now includes Asperger’s syndrome), as well as Rett’s disorder and childhood disintegrative disorder and the implications they can have later in life.
Who's It For?
- This course is a beginner level course and will lay a sound foundation of knowledge and skills in which can grow with experience and further study. Knowledge of child psychology is most relevant to careers in psychology, counselling and teaching. However, professionals in many other fields benefit from a deeper understanding of childhood development
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Youth Work
- Child and Adolescent Counselling
- School Counselling
- Child Psychology
- Youth Coaching
- Social Work
- Children’s Services
What You'll Learn
- In this module, you will learn about mental health problems in childhood, including depression, anxiety, eating disorders, tic disorders and problems associated with brain disease or injury, environmental factors, abuse and neglect. As an introductory module, it provides a solid foundation to the scope of common child and adolescent mental health disorders and how to identify them
- This module aims to deliver an introduction into child psychology, where you will discover how infants and children develop (socially, cognitively, sexually, morally), how they acquire language and different types of learning. You will hone your critical thinking skills, learn how to make observations of behaviour seen in children, and ways to analyse information to encourage you to approach scenarios from a different perspective
- This module will cover a range of topics; from discovering how parenting styles can influence childhood behaviour, to what age you can expect children to start speaking, to learn how much of a child’s behaviour is due to genetics and understanding how children learn in different ways
- This module is designed with the aim to help you understand the nature and scope of anger in children and techniques (including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy), to help manage and provide support when required. You will discover that anger management is not about removing all anger, but instead learn how to help children channel their anger into positive aspects and away from the negative aspects, so it can be productive rather than destructive
- In this foundation introductory module, you will learn about developmental disorders, including pervasive developmental disorders such as autism spectrum disorder (which now includes Asperger’s syndrome) as well as Rett’s disorder and childhood disintegrative disorder. The module aims to help you identify the different signs and symptoms, treatments and possible causes of each, the implications of a developmental disorder later in life and how important it is to respond to the signs and symptoms as early as possible
- You will also learn about behavioural disorders, such as different types of attention and hyperactivity disorders, along with conduct disorders like oppositional defiant disorder. The module also explores learning disorders, which are specific developmental disorders, such as reading disorder
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 400 hours
- 100% Online
- Study at your own pace
- You must have an internet connection
- Many of our students are under the age over 18, however, we do need to speak with a parent or legal guardian
- If you identify as having a long term impairment, disability, or medical condition that may impact on your ability to complete online study, speak to us about the services we can offer
- Our courses and content are up to date and relevant in today’s market
- We have high-quality student support with experienced and qualified tutors to help you every step of the way
- Our courses are delivered 100% online and you can study at your own pace
- We have a market-leading student learning and communication platform
- Our courses are flexible, you will have long term access to the course content
- Our courses are affordable, we offer interest-free payment options for all students
- 12-month of access to course content
- We partner with industry experts and industry-leading education partners, who are renowned in their chosen fields, to deliver courses that are relevant, practical and interactive
- Upon completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion, a Statement of Attainment for each module completed and an Academic Transcript
- Each lesson concludes in an assignment which is submitted and marked by your tutor and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments and if necessary, extra reading
- Your assessments will usually include case studies, quizzes and written assessments
Study with the help of our Tutors and the Student Support team to achieve an industry-focussed certificate.
- Enrol with us today to begin your future-focused learning journey
- After enrolment, we’ll give you a 5-day satisfaction guarantee to ensure the course is right for you
4 key modules made up of 40 subjects:
Careerhouse offers online, industry-relevant courses. We’re not like other education providers. We aim to offer a holistic, practical, and hands-on approach, to help set you up for success in the real world.
Whether you’re looking to upskill, transition to a new industry, start your own business or take your hobby to the next level, we’ll help take you there.
We partner with industry experts and industry-leading education partners, who are renowned in their chosen fields, to deliver courses that are relevant, practical and interactive.
Our mission is to make sure that you are equipped with the necessary skills to take the next step in your life with confidence.