- This course is part of the Victorian Government’s Free TAFE initiative. Enquire now to see if you are eligible
Are you a plumber looking to apply for one or more specialist plumbing licences?
In order to apply for a VBA licence, you must successfully complete three common units and a specialist or stream unit/s in a particular area (including an external VBA exam for each unit).
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Licensed plumber – drainage
What You'll Learn
This course covers the drainage stream, which incorporates the following accredited units from CPC40912 Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services:
- CPCCBC4012B Read and interpret plans and specifications
- CPCPDR4011B Design and size sanitary drainage systems
- CPCPDR4012B Design and size stormwater drainage systems
- CPCPDR4013B Design and size domestic treatment plant disposal systems
All units in this stream need to be successfully completed to be eligible to hold this particular licence with the VBA.
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- Hoppers Crossing
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
In order to complete the VBA requirements and sit the licensing exam, you must hold either a Certificate III in Plumbing (trade certificate) or a degree in Engineering. If you are unsure of your suitability, please contact Customer Service who will put you in touch with the course coordinator.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Written assignments
Intakes are in March and you have the option of attending classes at our East Geelong Campus or at the Werribee Learning Centre.
You can expect one night of on-campus attendance each week for 35 weeks (currently Wednesday evenings). The course is broken down into three sections:
• Design and size domestic treatment plant disposal systems: 8 x 3-hour sessions (including the external exam)
• Design and size stormwater drainage systems: 14 x 3-hour sessions (including external exam)
• Design and size sanitary drainage systems, and read and interpret plans and specifications: 13 x 3-hour sessions (including external exam)
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)