In the past, most Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) apps were built by hardcore game developers. Being able to code in Unity (or another SDK) was pretty much mandatory. But not anymore. The future of app development is browser-based, using WebVR software like Amazon Sumerian. With over 1 billion VR and AR predicted users by 2020, it’s an industry transformation you can’t ignore.
The beauty of Amazon Sumerian is that anyone can learn it. Anyone can upskill in app development, and you don’t need an enormous amount of time, money or expertise. In fact you can pick up the basics in just six weeks. Welcome to RMIT’s new Designing and Developing VR & AR Applications short course.
Developing VR & AR Applications builds on our introductory course, VR & AR Strategy. We’ll move beyond basic theory here and equip you with the skills to build real 3D applications. This is actually the first industry course in the world to specialise in Amazon Sumerian, and it was designed in partnership with the expert team at Amazon Web Services.
What You'll Learn
You’ll master the fundamentals of VR and AR development, learn from expert industry mentors, and get hands-on experience in cutting-edge development technology.
You’ll learn to:
- Learn the fundamentals of VR and AR development
- Upskill in Amazon Sumerian
- Get exclusive Twitch and Q&A sessions with the Amazon team
- Create your own 3D application
- Create a Sumerian scene with a host that provides instructions to the user
- Create interactions and animate entities in your scene
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 6 weeks
- Weeks 1-5: 5-8 hours
- Week 6: 8 hours
100% online – The freedom of online learning means you can study around your work and life commitments. It’s the same qualification but built around your schedule.
Real-world skills – Our courses and degrees are all about practical learning. Get job-ready skills you can actually apply or build a portfolio to show future employers.
Industry connected – We work closely with leading industry partners to make sure our courses are relevant for the future of work.
Network – Studying online doesn’t mean you are studying alone. You’ll join a powerful global network of peers, academics and industry experts.
Supported community – Take advantage of the team of RMIT Online staff who are there to help you along your journey.
RMIT credential – Your skills will be rigorously assessed and recognised by one of Australia’s most innovative and respected technology institutions, not to mention employers in the field.
- Sumerian introduction
- Sumerian interface
- Sumerian environment
- Explore State Machine
- Learn about events
- Camera and timelines
- Import your host
- Trigger your host emotes
- Get your host to speak
- Place HTML into your scene
- Embed video
- Import assets
- Slideshow in your scene
- Use Polly dashboard to build a chatbot
- Project reflection with peers
- Tap into industry experts
- Future exploration of emerging trends
About RMIT Online
Our online short-courses have been designed by industry experts. We have partnered with leading employers from key businesses such as Tigerspike, jtribe, Bilue, Stone & Chalk, Accenture, Paper Giant and REA Group. It’s a chance to learn from the best in the business. Half the battle is who you know, and we know a lot of people.