This higher education diploma is your pathway to an exciting career as an early childhood educator where you will gain a contemporary body of knowledge and skills to educate children from birth to five years across a variety of settings and professional roles. Central to the course design is the significance of the learning and development that occurs between birth and starting school for every child.
The Diploma of Early Childhood Education is for anyone who has a genuine interest in understanding and supporting children’s learning and development in early childhood settings
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Early Childhood Educator
What You'll Learn
What will I learn?
- The importance of play-based learning and how it facilitates children’s learning and development
- How to nurture children’s identity through respecting and supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in early childhood settings
- The significance of the contexts, culture and dynamics of families, communities, and society on young children’s development and learning
- The links between child development and behaviour, and how to guide behaviour in ways that support children to develop resilience through self-regulation and connecting with others
- Personal and professional development through two placements in early childhood settings under the supervision of professional educational leaders, giving you a real sense of early childhood educator practices
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 2 years full time
- The course consists of 16 subjects including two placement subjects. You must successfully complete all subjects to graduate with the Diploma of Early Childhood Education (96 credit points)
- Each academic year consists of three study periods called trimesters. Each trimester consists of twelve weeks of teaching plus one exam week
- Course delivery is a combination of on-campus lectures, tutorials, out of class self-directed study and workplace learning
- You should allow for 3 hours per subject for on-campus lectures and tutorials. For each subject, you should then spend approximately 10 hours per week for self-directed study to complete prescribed readings, practice skills, research, study and complete assessments
Note: Online delivery is completed via Ikon Distance Education and Learning (IDEAL), which means you learn the same things and you have the same interactions and time with teachers and with other students via Zoom, as you would on one of our physical campuses. You will always be in a live class, with other people, learning together, and able to ask questions directly with your lecturer, not by yourself watching pre-recorded videos.
You must meet one of the following requirements:
- Australian Secondary School Certificate with a minimum ATAR 60
- Completion of a VET qualification at Certificate IV level or higher
- Completion (or partial) of a higher education qualification
Applicants who finished senior secondary school more than two years ago and have not undertaken any accredited study may gain entry in recognition of their work and life experiences. You must be at least 21 years of age when you commence your studies and are required to submit a written admission statement of 300 to 500 words outlining your reasons for wanting to study early childhood education.
#FindYourWhy with Ikon
Face to face delivery is an essential part of quality learning. Ikon’s experienced teaching staff will support you during your studies and share a variety of real-life approaches and experiences to help you develop your professional skills, and feel confident and career-ready, upon completion of your course.
- Smaller class sizes create a dynamic and supportive learning environment for students
- A journey that mixes theory with experiential processes to ensure students obtain a deeper understanding of what is being taught
- Student support through the entire lifecycle of your learning, with our dedicated team of Student Counsellors and Academic staff
Recognition of Prior Learning
- Recognition of Prior Learning is an assessment process used to determine the extent to which a student has achieved the learning outcomes of a subject from earlier learning, experience or achievements. Where equivalence of prior learning can be established, the student is exempt from attending that particular subject in order to complete their course
- You may apply for course credit towards the Diploma of Arts Therapy in recognition of prior learning which may result in course credit and exemption from that subject
About Ikon Institute of Australia
Ikon is a private Institute of Higher Education in creative therapies, counselling and psychotherapy and early childhood education. Ikon has been helping people help others for over 30 years.
Ikon aims to create a difference through learning and continued professional education. The goal is to develop professionals with the knowledge and skills to contribute to an international community committed to social change, healing and learning.
Our higher education courses in creative therapies, psychotherapy and counselling, and early childhood education provide individuals with the skills and knowledge to move forward with rewarding careers. Ikon students are diverse but are connected by a common desire to make a positive difference in the lives of others.
We provide support to students across their life-cycle of learning; including orientation, academic skill sessions, counselling, expert lecturers, like-minded students and alumni program.
We provide a personalised educational experience that incorporates small class sizes with greater opportunities for guidance. This creates a positive impact on learning through increased time on tasks, tailored instruction and supported classroom participation.
Our involvement in the broader community, through our connections with industry, ensures content is innovative, relevant, and current to the needs of the sectors in which we operate.
Our teaching staff come from diverse backgrounds and have professional experience in the disciplines they teach, ensuring the examples they share are relevant to current practices.