This nationally recognised, Free TAFE course is tailored for individuals seeking to advance their career in modern science. If you hold a certificate in lab techniques, have a profound love for science, a thirst for understanding how things operate, and relish variety, this course is your next step.
Building upon your foundation in the MSL40188 Certificate IV Laboratory Techniques, this program delves deeper into analytical chemistry, quality assurance, and data processing. It’s a hands-on experience that hones your laboratory skills, preparing you for a wide range of fields.
You’ll master tasks like aseptic techniques, biological procedures, analytical chemistry, histological tests, microbiological tests, and molecular biology procedures. This comprehensive course propels you toward a rewarding career in science.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Laboratory technician
- Quality officer
- Technical officer
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
12 months full-time – 3 days per week
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon will utilise Gordon Online, our digital learning management system. Classes will be delivered using audio-visual delivery methods to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation.
- Must have completed MSL40118 Certificate IV Laboratory Techniques
- Applicants are required to undertake an independent assessment test to ensure they can satisfactorily attain Australian Core Skills Framework Level 4 in both reading and numeracy to apply for a VET Student Loan. To meet the academic requirements for the course, applicants are expected to have literacy and numeracy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 4
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
- Team projects
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)