- This course is part of the Victorian Government’s Free TAFE initiative. Enquire now to see if you are eligible
Start your nursing career with confidence! This popular course will equip you with the knowledge and practical skills you need to register as an enrolled nurse or create a pathway to university.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Enrolled nurse in a variety of settings
What You'll Learn
Our professional team of trainers shares their experience and expertise to ensure you gain the latest industry knowledge. Our partnerships with Barwon Health, St John of God Hospital, and other healthcare providers also provide excellent work placement and employment opportunities.
The course covers:
- Anatomy and physiology.
- Communication skills.
- Medical terminology.
- Legal and ethical issues associated with nursing.
- Nursing patients with complex needs.
- Administering medications.
- Nursing patients with mental health needs.
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- This is an intensive two -year course requiring 24 hours of class attendance over four days per week, as well as undertaking extra study out of class hours
- Classes are scheduled Monday – Friday | 3 days per week (changing each semester) | between the hours of 8.00am and 8.00pm
- Students can expect to be on campus on average 20 hours per week. Semester breaks will be scheduled into the timetable
- Applicants must be able to provide evidence that they have completed Year 12 or they will be required to undertake an independent assessment test to ensure their level of competence meets the Year 12 level.
- There are no prerequisite courses or units for entry into the new Diploma of Nursing. The unit BSBMED301 Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately, is now completed as part of the course.
This course includes 400 hours (11 weeks) of placement throughout the course and you will be expected to work industry hours, including both morning and afternoon shifts to complete this component. Placement is completed in week-long blocks ( Monday – Friday).
Recognition of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
- Team projects
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)