- James Cook University does NOT accept enquiries for those who are not a registered nurse or midwife with AHPRA
Want to make your mark on nursing? JCU’s online Graduate Certificate of Nursing will help prepare you for the healthcare system of tomorrow.
Australia’s healthcare landscape is changing. Governments, industry and healthcare providers are working smarter to meet rising costs coupled with the increasing demand on our health system.
You’ll develop advanced knowledge and specialist skills in your chosen nursing field. You’ll be able to take on nursing leadership roles in your area of practice, receive increased professional recognition and boost your potential to seize new opportunities in your nursing career.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Clinical Nurse Consultant
- Leadership & Management
- Nurse Unit Manager
- Clinical Teacher
- Nurse Educator
What You'll Learn
- To complete your online Graduate Certificate of Nursing, choose from one of three majors: Leadership and Management, Education or Advanced Practice, so you can shape your study to suit your own career path
- JCU offers subjects from Ethics and Health Management to Clinical Coaching, so you can focus on areas that will help put you on your best career path
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 8 months part-time
- 4 subjects (One subject per each 7-week study period)
- Completion of an AQF Level 7 Bachelor of Nursing, or equivalent qualification, and registration as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) or Registered Midwife with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA); or equivalent registration with the relevant registering authority for applicants outside of Australia
- Completed a minimum of one year of full-time clinical experience, or the part-time equivalent, as a registered nurse
- A minimum of one year’s full-time clinical experience, or the part-time equivalent, as a Registered Nurse
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 3a – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy
- Choose from three in-demand specialisations
- Transform your practice and improve your clinical skillset
- Develop key skills to help you succeed in clinical contexts
- Fast-track your career with 100% online study
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Advisor
- Begin the pathway to a master degree
Recognition of Prior Learning
- If you have previously studied related subjects, experienced on-the-job training, or gained skills that are relevant to this course, you may be eligible to receive credit towards your Master of Nursing. This could cut the overall time it takes to complete your degree
The online Graduate Certificate of Nursing core subjects will provide you with a well-rounded experience, with learning outcomes that focus on:
- Clinical governance and how to apply this framework to contemporary issues in healthcare as well as your own workplace.
- Persuasive communication and how to apply a number of strategies across different healthcare settings
About James Cook University
Study when it suits you, receive personal academic support and make your CV shine with a qualification from an internationally recognised university.
With a reputation for excellence in teaching and research, we know the value of a world-class education: our students graduate to become leaders in their fields and their communities. What’s more, JCU has been awarded five stars for graduate job success for six years running by The Good Universities Guide.
Through our postgraduate courses, we aim to empower professionals to have a positive impact and make their lives matter. Enrol and gain the skills to build your brighter future, today.