Ground your development as a socially responsible and ethical professional. The law is a fundamental part of our society, from the rules that govern us to the rights that protect us. With an online Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies from the University of Canberra, you can learn the legal fundamentals, advocacy skills and practical problem-solving strategies for a changing world.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Legal counsel
- Workplace relations consultant
- Family lawyer
- Legal case manager
Note: These are the potential career outcomes if you continue to study the Juris Doctor.
What You'll Learn
- Legal fundamentals – Gain the foundations in legal studies to develop diverse and inclusive advocacy abilities and legal skills, while understanding the theory and history of law
- Problem prevention & problem-solving – Learn practical legal problem-solving and dispute resolution skills, including evaluating responses to legal issues and solutions to legal problems
- Manage new worlds of technology, business and justice – Discover how the law engages with and shapes disruptive technologies, and understand the profession’s broader social and economic contexts
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 16 months part-time
To be eligible for the Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies, applicants must have an undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in any non-law discipline, with a GPA of at least 5/7
- There are non-standard English language requirements for this course
- To be eligible you must have an overall IELTS Academic score (or equivalent) of 6.5, with no band score below 6.0
- Study foundational legal units
- Understand legal fundamentals
- Develop practical dispute resolution skills
- Choose six elective subjects relevant to your career
- Study online around your life and work
- Experience support at every stage
What you will study
The Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies comprises 8 units – 2 foundation units and 6 electives of your choice. Each unit duration is 7 weeks. We advise a minimum of 15 to 20 hours of online study per week.
- Legal Methods and Skills
- Legal Systems
- Dispute Management
- Evidence Law
- Lawyers and Professional Responsibility
- Contract Law
- Torts Law
- Criminal Law and Procedure
- Constitutional Law
- Corporations Law
- Property Law
- Administrative Law
- Equity and Trusts Law
- Civil Procedure
- Legal Theory
- International Law
- Advanced Legal Research and Writing Skills
- Law, Innovation and Technologies
- Law Reform and Social Change
- Human Rights Law
- Workplace Law in Context
- Intellectual Property Law
About University of Canberra
The University of Canberra (UC) is a hub of learning, practical courses and innovative research. It is a place where ideas are born, creativity is explored and opportunity is created.
UC is a university for the professions, dedicated to providing immersive student experiences focused on employability outcomes.
UC is one of the world’s leading universities for reducing inequalities (UC is ranked in the top five universities globally for reducing inequalities – THE Impact Rankings, 2023) and have been ranked number one in Canberra for full-time employment and starting salaries (Good Universities Guide 2023).
This success is in part due to our two-pronged focus, encompassing progressive, expert teaching alongside strong ties to industry. This means that students enjoy real-world work experience and get a taste of their future careers, even before graduation.