Enhance your nursing practice
The online Graduate Diploma of Mental Health Nursing will build your understanding of how to effectively respond to people experiencing a range of mental health challenges. Mental health is a growing issue, so this qualification will help to prepare you for a variety of roles within public and private nursing and healthcare settings.
You will learn from leading and clinically active mental health nurse academics; and access current and clinically relevant, evidence-based coursework through a responsive and interactive learning environment. Our course has accreditation under the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses (ACMHN) and upon completion, you can use your new qualification as part of the requirements to become a credentialed mental health nurse.
Who's It For?
Despite needing to be a registered nurse for entry into this course, our students work in a wide variety of healthcare settings where they can focus on delivering better mental health care to their patients. To give you an idea of some of the roles our mental health nursing students currently work in, see below for a snapshot.
- Registered Nurse
- Mental Health Nurse
- Case Worker
- Liaison Clinician
- Acute Mental Health Nurse
- Nurse Coordinator
- Health Services Manager
- School Nurse
What You'll Learn
- Holistic mental health treatment – Gain the skills to be well-rounded mental health professional with the ability to work in a variety of mental health roles
- Contemporary mental health focus – Learn from clinically active academics and gain a contemporary understanding of emerging trends in mental health care
- Develop an evidence-based practice – Develop skills through evidence-based theories and knowledge that can be applied immediately in practice or hospital setting
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 16 months part-time
To qualify for entry into the Graduate Diploma of Mental Health Nursing, all applicants must:
- Be a Registered Nurse (Division 1) and have access to mental health nurse practice or to mental health nurse practitioners during their course of study, and;
- Be proficient in English
- Pathway to becoming a credentialled Mental Health Nurse
- Receive a high level of student support
- Learn from clinically experienced academics
- Gain immediately implementable skills
- Online study seamlessly fits into shiftwork
- Course is accredited by the ACMHN
- Dedicated one-on-one support
Recognition of Prior Learning
- We may recognise and grant credit for past education, qualifications and/or work experience in a process called advanced standing. If you’re eligible for advanced standing, this can impact the number of units you need to study, reducing the time and cost of your overall degree
The units that form part of the online mental health post-grad courses have been designed to develop the skills required for nurses to effectively respond to challenges within the field of mental health. You will learn to enhance your own practice, with the most up-to-date and clinically relevant knowledge embedded throughout the coursework. To gain your Graduate Diploma of Mental Health Nursing, you will need to complete all core units, listed in more detail below.
About Southern Cross University Online
SCU Online offers postgraduate online courses at the Masters, Diploma and Certificate levels.
When you study an online postgraduate course with Southern Cross University, you can select from some of the most popular study areas in Australia, including education, engineering and law.
You’ll enjoy 100% online learning, delivered by academics experienced in digital education.
Unlike other online university courses, you’ll collaborate with teaching staff and peers in an online study environment custom-built for this kind of learning. That might include virtual lectures and tutorials (either live or recorded), online consultations with lecturers, online quizzes and cooperating with fellow students on projects from the comfort of your own home or study space.
CRICOS Provider: 01241G