Develop the skills to provide effective mental health care
By completing Southern Cross University’s online Graduate Diploma of Mental Health course, you gain expert knowledge in mental health and psychiatry, while building the skills needed to confidently respond to patients experiencing mild, moderate and severe mental health challenges.
Developed with the latest industry standards in mind, this program prepares you to work within a range of health settings and disciplines. You will access current and clinically relevant, evidence-based knowledge and learn from leading and clinically active mental health academics from the internationally recognised School of Health and Human Sciences.
Who's It For?
Our students work in a variety of mental health roles across Australia in both public and private healthcare. The study builds your capabilities to provide appropriate mental health care and will set you up to work in a range of community and healthcare settings. Below are some of the roles our mental health master’s students work in.
- Social Worker
- Child Protection Officer
- Occupational Therapist (Mental Health Clinician)
- Registered Social Worker
- Government Assessor
- Art Therapist
- Case Manager
- Mental Health Worker
What You'll Learn
- Holistic mental health treatment – Gain the skills to be well-rounded mental health professional with the ability to work in a variety of mental health roles
- Contemporary mental health focus – Learn from clinically active academics and gain a contemporary understanding of emerging trends in mental health care
- Develop an evidence-based practice – Develop skills through evidence-based theories and knowledge that can be applied immediately in practice or hospital setting
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 16 months part-time
To qualify for entry into the Graduate Diploma, all applicants must:
- Have successfully completed a minimum three (3) year Bachelor qualification, or equivalent, in health, psychology or social science-related discipline, and;
Be proficient in English
- Gain immediately implementable skills
- Course material is current and comprehensive
- Become a well-rounded mental health care provider
- Learn from clinically experienced mental health academics
- Dedicated, one-on-one support
- Flexible online learning environment
- Affordable fees, FEE-HELP available
Recognition of Prior Learning
- We may recognise and grant credit for past education, qualifications and/or work experience in a process called advanced standing. If you’re eligible for advanced standing, this can impact the number of units you need to study, reducing the time and cost of your overall degree
The units that form part of the online postgraduate courses in mental health have been designed to develop the skills required to effectively respond to challenges across a diverse range of mental health fields. You will learn to enhance your own practice, with the most up-to-date and clinically relevant knowledge embedded throughout the coursework. To gain your Graduate Diploma of Mental Health, you will study 8 core units listed below.
About Southern Cross University Online
SCU Online offers postgraduate online courses at the Masters, Diploma and Certificate levels.
When you study an online postgraduate course with Southern Cross University, you can select from some of the most popular study areas in Australia, including education, engineering and law.
You’ll enjoy 100% online learning, delivered by academics experienced in digital education.
Unlike other online university courses, you’ll collaborate with teaching staff and peers in an online study environment custom-built for this kind of learning. That might include virtual lectures and tutorials (either live or recorded), online consultations with lecturers, online quizzes and cooperating with fellow students on projects from the comfort of your own home or study space.
CRICOS Provider: 01241G