- James Cook University does NOT accept enquiries for those who are not a registered nurse or midwife with AHPRA
Australia’s health system is changing to meet more demand than ever before.
Offering three majors, Leadership and Management, Education and Advanced Practice, you’ll learn specifics about leading and managing teams, develop skills in business-related areas, such as finance and budgeting, and build contemporary skills to facilitate effective adult learning. You’ll be prepared to help shape the way in which nurses practice and deliver patient care for the complex, fast-paced health environment of the future.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Clinical Nurse Consultant
- Leadership & Management
- Nurse Unit Manager
- Clinical Teacher
- Nurse Educator
What You'll Learn
The JCU Online’s Graduate Diploma of Nursing gives you the preparation you’ll need to shine at the next level in your career – advanced communication skills, data management skills, governance knowledge, informatics, and the ability to design and implement evidence into practice. We equip you with the knowledge, proficiency, competency and expertise to succeed in your chosen specialisation.
These core skills were specifically incorporated to ensure all graduates leave the course ready to take on the challenges presented by a changing healthcare landscape. You’ll also be able to choose one of three majors:
- Leadership and Management major
- Education major
- Advanced Practice major
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 16 months part-time
- 8 subjects (One subject per each 7-week study period)
- Completion of an AQF Level 7 Bachelor of Nursing, or equivalent qualification, and registration as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) or Registered Midwife with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA); or equivalent registration with the relevant registering authority for applicants outside of Australia
- A minimum of one year’s full-time clinical experience, or the part-time equivalent, as a Registered Nurse
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 3a – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy
- Transform your practice and improve your clinical skillset
- Choose from three in-demand specialisations
- Develop key skills to help you succeed in clinical contexts
- Understand the latest in healthcare informatics
- Fast-track your career with 100% online study
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Advisor
- Begin the pathway to a master degree
Recognition of Prior Learning
- If you have previously studied related subjects, experienced on-the-job training, or gained skills that are relevant to this course, you may be eligible to receive credit towards your Master of Nursing. This could cut the overall time it takes to complete your degree
The online Graduate Diploma of Nursing core subjects will provide you with a well-rounded experience, with learning outcomes that focus on:
- Clinical governance and how to apply this framework to contemporary issues in healthcare as well as your own workplace.
- Persuasive communication and how to apply a number of strategies across different healthcare settings
- Contemporary trends in informatics in healthcare
- Finding, appraising and utilising data and credible sources of health-related information
Students will complete 4 of 8 core units and 4 units from one of our three specialisations:
- Effective clinical governance
- Persuasive communication
- Informatics for health professionals
- Synthesising evidence for healthcare
- Professional portfolios for career advancement
- Qualitative research in healthcare
- Quantitative research in healthcare
- Implementing practice development in the healthcare context
About James Cook University
Study when it suits you, receive personal academic support and make your CV shine with a qualification from an internationally recognised university.
With a reputation for excellence in teaching and research, we know the value of a world-class education: our students graduate to become leaders in their fields and their communities. What’s more, JCU has been awarded five stars for graduate job success for six years running by The Good Universities Guide.
Through our postgraduate courses, we aim to empower professionals to have a positive impact and make their lives matter. Enrol and gain the skills to build your brighter future, today.