A University of Adelaide Master of Data Science (Applied) qualification is the first step towards a new, dynamic career.
Data Science skills are transferable to virtually any industry: big companies, the public sector and innovative startups are all offering data scientists competitive salaries to help them unlock the way forward.
Perhaps you want to use data to improve operational performance or to uncover new exciting opportunities.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Data Analyst
- Data Engineer
- Machine Learning Scientist
- Business Intelligence (BI) Developer
What You'll Learn
Through the Master of Data Science (Applied), you will experience:
- extracting meaningful information by manipulating real-world, messy datasets with Python and R
- using best-in-class tools, techniques and theories
- failsafe communication tactics
- the strategic impact of data science within various industry contexts
- technical data practice and management
- how to follow ethics, codes of conduct and other standards
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
Duration: 2.5 years
Time commitment: 20 – 25 hours a week.
Studying online gives you the flexibility to study on your terms. Go as fast as you can, at any time of the day and week. Many of our students continue working full time and appreciate the extra time they save from not commuting to a campus. The innovative online learning platform is easy to use and has all the resources you will need.
Six week teaching periods
Upskill faster by completing one subject every six weeks, before enjoying a two-week break. This structure allows you to gain a new practical skill every six weeks so you can boost your performance at your current role or start your career move sooner. You can also opt to take a teaching period off if you require a break.
To be eligible for the Masters of Data Science (Applied), you will need to meet both of the following two requirements:
- A completed bachelor degree or equivalent in any discipline with a minimum GPA of 4.5 (7.0 GPA scale)
- Successfully completed Mathematical Methods (or equivalent) during Senior Secondary School
It’s important to have a solid grasp of core mathematical concepts before undertaking a data science program as almost all of the techniques are underpinned by maths. If you didn’t complete your higher education in South Australia, refer to the below table to see the equivalent programs per state.
- Flexible learning – On your terms. At the University of Adelaide, we recognise your individuality. That’s why our 100% online programs give you the freedom to enhance your knowledge around your unique set of existing commitments. Irrespective of your lifestyle and challenges, you have the ability to start learning when you’re ready—while you’re at home, in the office or on the move
- Support – You’re not alone. Whether you’re a self-sufficient learner or someone who needs a regular helping hand, you will have access to our expert advisors. Our advisors have a wealth of knowledge and expertise that will complement your learning style and support requirements. They are available via phone and email for information on your program as well as additional learning support such as academic resources, career development, counselling and disability support, as required
- Careers and employment – You can benefit from the distinct career advantage that comes from studying with one of Australia’s elite Group of Eight universities. Everything we do is centred on our goal to enable you to become a recognised, educated leader of tomorrow
- Focussed study – Our programs are designed with the same rigour and course content as an on-campus equivalent, but are delivered one subject at a time over a six-week teaching period. This study mode is deliberately designed to keep you focused and achieving regular goals
All assessments and coursework are 100% online. Assessments will include:
- Knowledge quizzes
- Peer-reviewed discussions
- Scenario-based assignments
- Reflective case studies
- Research report or paper
- Industry or research minor projects
- Major research project.
About The University of Adelaide
Consistently ranked in the top 1% worldwide by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. The University of Adelaide is a member of Australia’s prestigious Group of Eight research-intensive universities.
At the University of Adelaide, cutting-edge innovation takes place amidst a rich history of excellence spanning more than 140 years. Bright young minds learn alongside internationally recognised leaders in their fields. Global research impact is achieved hand-in-hand with outstanding graduate career outcomes.