The 100% online Master of Education (STEM) will build upon your own foundational STEM skills while gaining a deepened understanding of spatial thinking, STEM pedagogical frameworks and inclusion and wellbeing strategies to enhance teaching practices, student outcomes and student engagement. Units within this course are informed by evidence-based research from the STEM Education Research Centre (SERC) at the University of Canberra.
Who's It For?
Are you wanting to improve STEM student outcomes while also staying at the forefront of the ever-evolving field of STEM education? If you’re looking to gain specialist skills and tools to give your students the best learning experience possible, then this specialisation is for you.
The Master of Education is designed for professionals who want to progress their education career and revitalise their teaching practices to improve student experience and cultivate learning environments where staff and students feel empowered to grow. World-renowned industry leaders will guide you through your study journey and upon graduation, you will be qualified to pursue in-demand specialist roles to lead STEM education in your community.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Assistant Principal
- Curriculum Coordinator or Specialist
- Curriculum Coordinator or Specialist (STEM)
- Deputy Principal
- Early Childhood Director
- Executive Teacher (STEM)
- Education Assessment Specialist
- Executive Principal
- Executive Teacher
- Head of Department or Faculty
- Head of Department or Faculty (STEM)
- School Leader
- School Policy Adviser or Developer
- Student Wellbeing Manager
- Year Adviser
What You'll Learn
The Master of Education (STEM) will enhance your credibility as an educator and give you the confidence, skills and professional toolkit to stay at the forefront of contemporary education, immediately adding value to your career and educational landscape. Select units such as STEM Pedagogy, STEM and Design Thinking, Spatial Thinking and STEM Practices and Learning Opportunities to be able to appropriately analyse and select optimal STEM and spatial pedagogical frameworks, develop design-thinking approaches to teaching and learn how STEM practices occur across curriculum in contemporary educational context.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 8 units
- Will take around 16 months to complete
To be eligible for the Master of Education, the Master of Education (Leadership) or the Master of Education (STEM), applicants must have:
- Current registration as a teacher at proficient level or higher with an Australian regulatory authority/registration authority (e.g., TQI, NESA). OR;
- A three-year undergraduate degree in Education or relevant field as approved by the University of Canberra, and at least three years’ FTE professional experience in education. OR;
- Graduate and/or postgraduate education qualifications as approved by the University of Canberra
- Designed by a global leader in STEM education
- People-first leadership focus
- 100% online, accelerated and supported
- Build upon your experience and develop your professional authority in modern education
- Gain a toolkit to respond to contemporary challenges in education
- Tailored to support students professional goals
- Aligned with ACARA demands
- Add instant value to your career through authentic practice assessments
- Experience dedicated support at every stage
- Start anytime – intakes are open every 2 months
Recognition of Prior Learning
Masters students may receive a maximum of 4 units of RPL (12 Credit Points), which will be assessed based on their previous post-graduate studies (at a matching AQF and CPL level) and on advice from the Program Director.
Students are assessed through authentic assessments. This means that the work they produce for assessments is career-relevant and can be applied to their current position.
- Internet connection
- Desktop, laptop, tablet, mobile or any combination
About University of Canberra
The University of Canberra (UC) is a hub of learning, practical courses and innovative research. It is a place where ideas are born, creativity is explored and opportunity is created.
UC is a university for the professions, dedicated to providing immersive student experiences focused on employability outcomes.
UC is one of the world’s leading universities for reducing inequalities (UC is ranked in the top five universities globally for reducing inequalities – THE Impact Rankings, 2023) and have been ranked number one in Canberra for full-time employment and starting salaries (Good Universities Guide 2023).
This success is in part due to our two-pronged focus, encompassing progressive, expert teaching alongside strong ties to industry. This means that students enjoy real-world work experience and get a taste of their future careers, even before graduation.