Be a mental health expert.
Deliver better outcomes.
Our Master of Mental Health Nursing is developed against the latest mental health industry standards as set by the Australian College of Mental Health Nursing (ACMHN). You can use your qualification upon completion as part of the pathway to becoming a credentialed mental health nurse. When you study your mental health nursing course online, you will be learning from highly-skilled, clinically active mental health academics. Our degree equips you with the skills and knowledge to forge a successful career as a mental health nurse, ensuring you are prepared to respond to the challenges and opportunities of the healthcare industry. Studying your mental health nursing degree online will give you advanced knowledge to help people with a lived experience of mental illness. With one in six Australians currently experiencing depression or anxiety or both, and support-seeking rapidly growing, there is a great need for highly qualified mental health professionals.
Who's It For?
Despite needing to be a registered nurse for entry into the course, our students work in a wide variety of healthcare settings that focus on delivering better mental health care to the patients. To give you an idea of some of the roles our mental health nursing students currently work in, see below for a snapshot.
- Registered Nurse
- Mental Health Nurse
- Case Worker
- Liaison Clinician
- Acute Mental Health Nurse
- Nurse Coordinator
- Health Services Manager
- School Nurse
What You'll Learn
- Holistic mental health treatment Gain the skills to be a well-rounded mental health professional with the ability to work in a variety of mental health roles
- Contemporary mental health focus – Learn from clinically active academics and gain a contemporary understanding of emerging trends in mental health care
- Develop an evidence-based practice – Develop skills through evidence-based theories and knowledge that can be applied immediately in practice or hospital setting
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 2 years part-time
To qualify for entry into the Master of Mental Health Nursing, all applicants must:
- Be a Registered Nurse (Division 1) and have access to mental health nurse practice or to mental health nurse practitioners during their course of study, and;
- Be proficient in English
- Pathway to becoming a credentialled Mental Health Nurse
- Receive a high level of student support
- Learn from clinically experienced academics
- Gain immediately implementable skills
- Online study seamlessly fits into shiftwork
- Course is accredited by the ACMHN
- Dedicated one-on-one support
Recognition of Prior Learning
- We may recognise and grant credit for past education, qualifications and/or work experience in a process called advanced standing. If you’re eligible for advanced standing, this can impact the number of units you need to study, reducing the time and cost of your overall degree
To gain your online Master of Mental Health Nursing degree, the study includes 11 core units
About Southern Cross University Online
SCU Online offers postgraduate online courses at the Masters, Diploma and Certificate levels.
When you study an online postgraduate course with Southern Cross University, you can select from some of the most popular study areas in Australia, including education, engineering and law.
You’ll enjoy 100% online learning, delivered by academics experienced in digital education.
Unlike other online university courses, you’ll collaborate with teaching staff and peers in an online study environment custom-built for this kind of learning. That might include virtual lectures and tutorials (either live or recorded), online consultations with lecturers, online quizzes and cooperating with fellow students on projects from the comfort of your own home or study space.
CRICOS Provider: 01241G