Deliver better nursing for better health through leadership, research and innovation.
VU Online’s Master of Nursing, with specialisations in Chronic Disease and Ageing or Nursing Leadership, is designed for registered nurses to transform the delivery of healthcare services in Australia. The course prepares nurses for the challenges of clinical leadership, research and advanced practice roles in their chosen specialisation.
Across eight core units of study – from Promoting Cultural Competence and Community Health to Nursing Informatics – and four specialised units in their chosen field of study, students will acquire skills that are in demand for senior nurse leaders.
Each course is delivered 100% online, giving students the flexibility to fit study around their busy personal and professional lives. At VU Online, we take a personalised 1:1 approach to online learning, which makes learning with us highly interactive and supported.
With 25 years of experience delivering postgraduate courses in Australia, VU has equipped thousands of students from all walks of life with the knowledge and skills to successfully achieve their unique career goals including promotion, salary increase and leadership and innovation in nursing.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Clinical Research Nurse
- Clinical Nurse Consultant
- Clinical Nurse Educator
- Nurse Unit Manager
- Leadership Role in Chronic Disease and Ageing
- Unit Manager
- Director of Nursing
- Executive Director of Nursing
What You'll Learn
- Assess and apply current WHO and Australian Health priorities and cultural competency principles to promote community health
- Formulate and lead quality and safety innovations for improved patient outcomes
- Assume leadership for complex care coordination for clients
- Provide leadership in informatics and its applications to digital healthcare
- Contribute to advancing nursing knowledge, practice and design through the evaluation of research
- Develop, implement and assess professional development programs for clinical settings
- Lead or influence nursing care in a chosen specialty area
- Design and undertake primary research in a specialist area
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 2 years part-time
- VU Online provides you with the academic support you need, when you need it, throughout the course. With four layers of student support, our goal is to ensure you succeed in your studies
- Our highly experienced academics understand how to deliver a quality online learning experience and are responsive and accessible
- You will also have access to a dedicated Student Success Advisor, who provides motivation and one-on-one personalised assistance with non-academic matters for the duration of the course
- You will experience the support of a community through chat, virtual seminars and discussion board activity. Your support network is only a phone call or email away
- Completed an AQF Level 7 Bachelor of Nursing, or equivalent qualification AND
- Current Registration as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) OR Registered Midwife with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) OR equivalent registration with the relevant registering authority for applicants outside of Australia AND
- Completed a minimum of one year of full-time clinical experience, or the part-time equivalent, as a registered nurse. OR
- Applicants without an AQF 7 Bachelor Degree of Nursing or above who also hold current registration as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) or Registered Midwife with the Australian Practitioner Regulation Agency (APHRA), or applicants without sufficient clinical work experience will be considered for the Graduate Certificate in Nursing. On successful completion of the Graduate Certificate, applicants will be eligible for admission to this course with credit granted for completed units.
- Award-winning study model: Our award-winning postgraduate Block Model recognises the complexity of students’ lives while giving a consistent, manageable and connected online learning experience. Earn your Master of Nursing faster than on-campus, with our unique study model
- No exams or textbooks to purchase: The online units have been designed with a student-centred approach that spans from the overarching learning outcomes to the engaging activities and self-determined assessments
- Support 7 days and in the evenings: Get the support you need, when you need it, during your course. Our support network has a single focus on ensuring you are entirely supported to succeed
Recognition of Prior Learning
- You may be eligible to enter into the masters with credit for past skills and/or study, known as advanced standing
- If you’ve already completed any of the units in the course in which you are enrolling, or their equivalent, you may be eligible for advanced standing
About Victoria University Online
Internationally recognised as a leading university, Victoria University (VU) is ranked among the top two per cent of universities worldwide.
At VU Online, we make it easy to fit study around existing commitments including work, family and children. Our programs are delivered through VU Online’s postgraduate Block Model, winner of the LearnX Live! Award 2020 ‘Best Online Learning Model’.
Our postgraduate online Block Model is designed to be flexible, interactive and student-centred. Instead of taking two or three units a semester, you will study one unit at a time, offering you more flexibility than traditional on-campus degrees.
Our online learning platform is a virtual one-stop shop that helps you manage your study commitments 24/7. You will be able to access your coursework, resources, assignment details and individual feedback from facilitators, all in one place.
- A genuine online learning community
- Interactive, immersive learning – no exams or textbooks to purchase
- Delivered by experienced academics and facilitators
- 1:1 support via phone, email or SMS, seven days a week and in the evenings