Do you want to help people suffering with a mental health disorder? Are you passionate about psychology and want to learn more about human behaviour? Are you interested in understanding the effects illicit and prescribed drugs can have on an individual and a society? Do you want to learn more about mental health disorders and how to identify them? Then this course is for you.
Mental health disorders will affect nearly half of the Australian population in their lifetime, with 1 in 5 Australians experiencing a common mental health disorder in the last 12 months. This foundation introductory course aims to help you understand the signs, symptoms and possible treatments of adult mental health problems. You will also learn about social psychology and human behaviour, and the differences between common psychological disorders, including identifying their symptoms and possible ways to treat them.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Mental Health Coordinator
- Nursing – Mental Health Nurse
- Social Services (social worker) and Case Workers
- Probations Officers and Corrections Treatment Facilitator
- Family and Marriage Therapist
- Psychology professor/lecturer
- Psychologist – sports, clinical, forensic, social, military, aviation, industrial, criminal, educational, developmental, comparative, child
- Psychiatrist or Psychiatrist aide
What You'll Learn
- This module is designed with the aim to help you understand the signs, symptoms and possible treatments of adult mental health problems. From depression to anxiety and schizophrenia, to eating disorders, OCD and phobias, you will learn about the most common mental health disorders and how they impact a person’s life. Mental health professionals work with their patients and mental health sufferers, to help themselves. Throughout this module, you will learn practical techniques and strategies which can help people suffering from a mental health disorder control and alleviate severe symptoms
- Learn about stereotypes, group behaviour, prejudice, attraction, attitudes and attitudinal change, interaction and much more in this module about social psychology. The module is designed with the aim to help you understand human behaviour and how society affects the individual and the group. You will also learn the psychology behind how we interact with each other, or act as a group rather than an individual. By understanding the “natural” social needs of a person, the aim is to help you develop an increased sensitivity to other people, and better identify and assist people with attending to deficiencies in their social interactions
- Throughout this module, you will be introduced to a range of common psychological disorders, from their aetiology, symptoms, prognosis, to possible treatment options. Whilst the module largely mirrors classifications systems used in the DSM and ICD, the student is also encouraged to consider additional issues, such as the definition of normality and abnormality, and when is an individual’s behaviour within the bounds of what is regarded as “normal” in society – and when is it “abnormal”. The module aims to help you better understand common mental health issues so you can recognise and accommodate the behaviours of the people you work with and interact with, so you can relate and communicate with them in a more understanding and positively beneficial manner
- This module is designed to help you understand how different types of drugs (manmade and natural) can influence our behaviour. From substance abuse, dependency, and withdrawal effects on the nervous system, to the impacts of drugs on society, this introductory module provides a solid foundation to psychopharmacology. You will learn how our thinking can be affected by both legal and illegal drugs, the effects of pain killers, alcohol and prescription drugs, and discover the differences between the main groups of illicit drugs and how to identify drug abuse and dependence
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 400 hours
- 100% Online
- Study at your own pace
- You must have an internet connection
- Many of our students are under the age over 18, however, we do need to speak with a parent or legal guardian
- If you identify as having a long term impairment, disability, or medical condition that may impact on your ability to complete online study, speak to us about the services we can offer
- Our courses and content are up to date and relevant in today’s market
- We have high-quality student support with experienced and qualified tutors to help you every step of the way
- Our courses are delivered 100% online and you can study at your own pace
- We have a market-leading student learning and communication platform
- Our courses are flexible, you will have long term access to the course content
- Our courses are affordable, we offer interest-free payment options for all students
- 12-month of access to course content
- We partner with industry experts and industry-leading education partners, who are renowned in their chosen fields, to deliver courses that are relevant, practical and interactive
- Upon completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion, a Statement of Attainment for each module completed and an Academic Transcript
- Each lesson concludes in an assignment which is submitted and marked by your tutor and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments and if necessary, extra reading
- Your assessments will usually include case studies, quizzes and written assessments
Study with the help of our Tutors and the Student Support team to achieve an industry accredited certification.
- Enrol with us today to begin your future-focused learning journey
- After enrolment, we’ll give you a 5-day satisfaction guarantee to ensure the course is right for you
4 Key Modules, made up of 41 subjects:
Careerhouse offers online, industry-relevant courses. We’re not like other education providers. We aim to offer a holistic, practical, and hands-on approach, to help set you up for success in the real world.
Whether you’re looking to upskill, transition to a new industry, start your own business or take your hobby to the next level, we’ll help take you there.
We partner with industry experts and industry-leading education partners, who are renowned in their chosen fields, to deliver courses that are relevant, practical and interactive.
Our mission is to make sure that you are equipped with the necessary skills to take the next step in your life with confidence.