This course is designed to introduce students to Transact-SQL. It is designed in such a way that the first three days can be taught as a course to students requiring the knowledge for other courses in the SQL Server curriculum. Days 4 & 5 teach the remaining skills required to take exam 70-761.
Who's It For?
The main purpose of the course is to give students a good understanding of the Transact-SQL language which is used by all SQL Server-related disciplines; namely, Database Administration, Database Development and Business Intelligence. As such, the primary target audience for this course is: Database Administrators, Database Developers and BI professionals.
What You'll Learn
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe key capabilities and components of SQL Server 2016
- Describe T-SQL, sets, and predicate logic
- Write a single table SELECT statement
- Write a multi-table SELECT statement
- Write SELECT statements with filtering and sorting
- Describe how SQL Server uses data types
- Write DML statements
- Write queries that use built-in functions
- Write queries that aggregate data
- Write subqueries
- Create and implement views and table-valued functions
- Use set operators to combine query results
- Write queries that use window ranking, offset, and aggregate functions
- Transform data by implementing pivot, unpivot, rollup and cube
- Create and implement stored procedures
- Add programming constructs such as variables, conditions, and loops to T-SQL code
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
Duration and Study Load
- 5 days
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality
- Working knowledge of relational databases
This module introduces SQL Server, the versions of SQL Server, including cloud versions, and how to connect to SQL Server using SQL Server Management Studio.
- The Basic Architecture of SQL Server
- SQL Server Editions and Versions
- Getting Started with SQL Server Management Studio
This module describes the elements of T-SQL and their role in writing queries. Describe the use of sets in SQL Server. Describe the use of predicate logic in SQL Server. Describe the logical order of operations in SELECT statements.
- Introducing T-SQL
- Understanding Sets
- Understanding Predicate Logic
- Understanding the Logical Order of Operations in SELECT statements
This module introduces the fundamentals of the SELECT statement, focusing on queries against a single table.
- Writing Simple SELECT Statements
- Eliminating Duplicates with DISTINCT
- Using Column and Table Aliases
- Writing Simple CASE Expressions
This module describes how to write queries that combine data from multiple sources in Microsoft SQL Server 2016.
- Understanding Joins
- Querying with Inner Joins
- Querying with Outer Joins
- Querying with Cross Joins and Self Joins
This module describes how to implement sorting and filtering.
- Sorting Data
- Filtering Data with Predicates
- Filtering Data with TOP and OFFSET-FETCH
- Working with Unknown Values
DDLS is Australia’s largest provider of corporate IT and process training, with the largest portfolio of strategic partners and courses in Australia. We partner with world-class companies to help organisations and individuals in the IT industry remain up-to-date with new processes, technology and platforms to reduce risk and enable efficient business practices. We have convenient locations in almost every capital in Australia as well as the Philippines, flexible delivery modalities, industry-accredited trainers, and state-of-the-art course material and labs to produce the highest quality learning outcomes for our clients.
DDLS promotes a balanced approach to training with a focus on the key areas of Technology, Process and People. We provide extensive training options tailored to your organisation’s needs – from vendor-certified courses to customised training, including bespoke in-house developed courses.