The Undergraduate Certificate in Fundamentals of Health Promotion is designed to develop an understanding of the social, environmental, political and economic determinants of health. Students will learn the core domains of health promotion including how to plan, advocate, and evaluate policies and programs to bring positive changes to the health of communities using a preventative model. This course is designed for professionals working in Fitness, Allied Health, Health Care or Physical Education looking to upskill or retrain.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Health Promotion Officer or Coordinator
- Health & Lifestyle Coordinator
- Policy Support Officer
- Community Health Development Officer
- Community Engagement Officer
- Public Health Project Officer
- Environmental Health Coordinator
- Health and Wellbeing Manager
What You'll Learn
- Describe health, illness and wellbeing using a determinants approach
- Explain the common measures of health and illness used to identify health inequities and inequalities in vulnerable populations
- Explain the core concepts and principles of health promotion practice including empowerment, participation, partnership and equity
- Interpret common measures of health and illness to assess the need for a health promotion program
- Demonstrate the application of research skills to develop an evidence base for planning health promotion programs
- Demonstrate effective literacy, numeracy, ICT and communication skills required to engage communities in health-promoting behaviour
Application of Knowledge and Skills:
- Apply a determinants approach to assess need for a health promotion program
- Apply the principles of health promotion to develop a preventative health program which supports empowerment, participation, partnership, and equity
- Synthesise data and use evidence-based practice to inform the development of health promotion programs
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
Full-time (6 Months).
Taught over two teaching periods of 8 weeks covering two units per period.
This course is not intended for School Leavers but is aimed at individuals who have been working in the Sport Industry Health Promotion, Allied Health or related Industry for at least 2 years. Applicants with at least 2 years’ working experience in the Sport Industry Health Promotion, Allied Health or related Industry have to meet the following requirements:
1. At least 2 years’ experience working in the Sports Industry Health Promotion, Allied Health or related Industry – students are required to provide a resume and a reference from their employer confirming their employment, together with a personal statement about their readiness for undertaking higher education studies; and
2. One of the following:
- a minimum NSW HSC (Higher School Certificate) OR
- a qualification from a recognised higher education provider; OR
- an Associate Diploma, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, or Tertiary Preparation Certificate from a TAFE or other recognised VET provider qualification (Students wishing to enter through Certificate IV must have completed Year 11 or equivalent); OR
- one year full-time or equivalent in a degree course at an Australian university; OR
- satisfaction of entry requirements specified under formal articulation arrangements as determined by the ACPE Academic Board; OR
- a recognised overseas qualification with demonstrated proficiency in English; OR
- demonstration to the Dean’s satisfaction of good selection prospects as a student (for example, relevant work experience and motivation to study), and ineligibility to compete for admission based on the academic achievement criteria (1) to (6).
3. Applicants have to meet the English Language proficiency requirements
4. This is course is NOT available to international students.
Direct Entry – You don’t need to be a school leaver (or wait for your results) to apply to enrol with ACPE. Our courses are direct entry, meaning you don’t need an ATAR to study with us – we consider more than your ATAR.
Student Support Services – Our students receive a high level of support across several departments. These support services are critical and play a key role in ensuring our students remain connected in the classroom, are enjoying their time on campus and are maximising their potential.
Industry Partnerships – ACPE has a wide range of Industry Partnerships that ensure our students receive experience with some of the best in the business. Our partners include: Sport NSW, GWS Giants, Sydney Thunder, AUS Dance and many more.
World-Class Facilities – Our students thrive by being located in the home of sport at Sydney’s Olympic Park. We have a new, purpose-built campus on Parkview Drive with state-of-the-art facilities that thrill both students and staff alike.
FEE-HELP Available – Eligible domestic students (Australian citizens or permanent humanitarian visa holders) have access to FEE-HELP, the Federal Government’s financial assistance scheme that lets you study without paying tuition fees upfront. FEE Help incurs a 20% loan fee.
For more than a century ACPE has been manifesting our students’ career aspirations into reality. ACPE empowers students by providing specialised education, first-rate qualifications and access to career-enhancing opportunities in addition to a great student life experience. Start your journey towards your career in physical education (PDHPE), dance education, sports business, health science, health and movement, coaching, applied fitness, and community health. ACPE courses are delivered at its purpose-built campus in Sydney Olympic Park, with a range of courses and individual subjects offered online.