- 30% scholarships available until April 2021
Enhance your career prospects with an online Undergraduate Certificate in Gastronomy designed to elevate your hospitality leadership credentials with industry-focused, transferable skills for management roles in a range of organisations and service industries.
Explore the fundamentals of gastronomic practice & the principles of organoleptic studies; discover food and wine philosophy & the vocabulary of food and wine tasting; learn about key features of the hospitality experience including customer relationship management; understand the history and nature of gastronomic tourism & how to market gastronomic products.
Who's It For?
Our Higher Education Certificates are designed for those in the hospitality sector who wish to upskill to advance their career, or anyone seeking a deeper understanding of effective hospitality management as the benchmark for service success. The qualification will benefit jobseekers navigating the current unpredictable employment market where there is industry demand for specific managerial skills.
What You'll Learn
- The fundamentals of gastronomic practice; the history of modern gastronomy as a field of practice; the principles of neurogastronomy (organoleptic studies)
- Food and wine philosophy, including a brief history of gastronomy and the restaurant; dominant styles of cuisine and the contemporary restaurant; the vocabulary of food and wine tasting
- Key features of the hospitality experience; customer relationship management; hospitality experiences in the global market; emotional intelligence and the experience economy
- The history and nature of gastronomic tourism including destination management and marketing; how to market gastronomic products, places and experiences; key characteristics of gastronomic tourists.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
6 months part-time.
- No age requirement or secondary education required
- English proficiency: 6 Academic IELTS with no band score below 5.5
Supported Online Learning
The program will be accessed via our online learning platform offering interactive and supported learning from Le Cordon Bleu Australia expert lecturers. Students will access eBooks, academic databases and video conferencing tools. 24/7 Access to learning materials.
At successful completion of an online higher education course, you will receive an AQF accredited Le Cordon Bleu Australia certificate.
Successful completion of an online certificate guarantees entry into all Le Cordon Bleu Australia Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs and may act as a pathway to awards offered by other Higher Education Providers.
Course learning outcomes may be assessed via submission of a range of assessment tasks including problem-solving exercises, online tests and examinations, reports, research assignments and group projects.
- The History of Modern Gastronomy as a Field of Practice, Principles and Philosophy
- Current Gastronomy, including Perspectives on Contemporary Food Trends
- Introduction to Principles of Neurogastronomy: Flavour and the Five Senses (organoleptic studies)
- Understanding Qualities of Food via Key Practices
- Classifying Beverages, Wines and Foods
- Introduction to Taste Terms
- Communicating Perceptions of Taste in a Professional Setting
- A Brief History of Gastronomy and the Restaurant
- Dominant Styles of Cuisine
- The Contemporary Restaurant: Themes and Variations in Dining Experience
- Taste and Smell: Physiology and Cultural Determinants
- The Range and Scope of Food and Beverage Qualities
- Tasting and Classifying Beverages, Wines, and Foods
- Matching Foods and Beverages: Dishes into Meals
- Changing Tastes 1: Varietal Wines in the Context of Global Cuisine
- Changing Tastes 2: Organic and Free Range versus ‘The Supermarket’
- The Vocabulary of Food and Wine Tasting
- Food and Philosophy: ‘Gastrosophy’
- The Vocabulary of Food and Wine: Menu Appreciation
- Menu Construction: Expressing Gastronomic Themes and Styles and Creating a Balanced Menu
- Designing, Planning and Costing a Meal Event
- The Hospitality Concept: An Introduction
- Hospitality in Context
- The Experience Economy
- Consuming Hospitality
- Emotional Intelligence
- Customer Relationship Management
- Aesthetic Labour
- Creating Hospitality Experiences in a Global Market
- Creating the Hospitality Experience
- Introduction to the Study of Food Tourism
- Who are the Gastronomic Tourists?
- Resourcing Gastronomic Tourism
- Shaping Influences and Trends in Gastronomic Tourism
- Motivations and Tastes of Food Tourists
- Food and Wine Tourism Providers and Innovators
- Marketing Gastronomic Products, Places and Experiences
- Regulations, Policies and Planning for Food and Wine Tourism
- Environmental, Cultural and Social Impacts of Gastronomic Tourism
- The Future for Sustainable Gastronomic Tourism
About Le Cordon Bleu Australia
Le Cordon Bleu Australia has been inspiring hospitality dreams for over 30 years, and today delivers leading culinary arts programmes, hotel and restaurant management degrees in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney and 100% online Higher Education certificates. In Australia, our students enjoy a high standard of living with the prospect of entering a thriving hospitality industry rich in career opportunities.
Create your hospitality dream with Le Cordon Bleu.