Australia suffers from a shortage in skilled labour and therefore the Government is taking action to educate the labour force in a series of different approaches. There are many different options to look into should you be interested in getting an education, furthering your current education, or renewing your skill set. Across Australia, funding is heavily spent on business and business related certificates and diplomas. For example, in Queensland a funded Certificate in Small Business Management is very popular and in Victoria you can study online to graduate with a Certificate in Business Administration. You can talk to the institution that offers the course to find out if you qualify for a Government subsidy.
You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident and over the age of 15 to be eligible for various types of Government funding. Even though the requirements are different in different parts of the country, in general these incentive programs are aimed at everyone from job seekers to those who are in full-time employment. Here are some of the options that are on offer.
- The Australian Apprenticeships Incentives Program which aims to encourage and train existing employees as well as those who are entering the workplace for the first time.
- The Productivity Places Program which allows employers to offer their workers education opportunities at a reduced cost.
- The Strategic Skills Programme, which helps workers develop special skill sets.
- The User Choice which supports the Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) throughout out the country.
- Investing in Experience – Skill Recognition and Training which allows workers over the age of 50 to upgrade their skill sets.
The Government also funds the National Workforce Development Programme. This programme gives businesses nationwide the opportunity to apply for funding so that they can determine the skills that their workforce needs and then supply the education necessary to achieve that goal.
The courses that are available range from TAFE certificate courses to Advanced Diploma courses. These courses can be attended in a classroom setting or studied online. TAFE courses in the following subjects are very popular.
- Veterinary Nursing
- Education Support or Teacher’s Aide
- Training and Assessment
- Beauty Therapy
- Business Administration
Other courses cover a wide spectrum of subjects. Healthcare covers care of the aged and elderly, handicapped and disability, home and community care. Business courses offer skills from bookkeeping to management and administration. Subjects as far afield as agriculture or even fitness and training are even available. Government funded courses are available full time, part time and online in every state of the country. You can check with your local authorities and educational institutions to see what is on offer in your area, what you are eligible for, what the requirements are and how to get help with funding your education.