The Australian Scholarships Group (ASG) is excited to introduce new educational resources to its members and the general public to help further their children’s education.
Who are ASG?
The Australian Scholarships Group (ASG) is a not-for-profit, member-based organisation. It helps to create educational opportunities for children,
The ASG philosophy “is that every child should be given access to the same opportunity and support, to cultivate their talent”. They work toward achieving this by providing members of the ASG community with solutions to meet their children’s future educational needs.
- ASG has been helping families and their children for more than 40 years.
- During this time, more than 515,000 children have been enrolled with ASG
- More than $2 billion in education benefits and scholarship payments returned to Members
What do they do?
Australian Scholarships Group are an organisation dedicated to providing assistance and solutions to individuals and families who want to save for the future education expenses of their child.
1. The Education Fund (TEF): Helps you plan for your child’s education expenses with a focus on post-secondary years
2. Supplementary Education Package (SEP): Helps you plan for your child’s primary, secondary and post-secondary education costs
3. Future Education Prograp (FEP): Helps you plan for the costs of general education throughout your child’s lifetime
How does it all work?
- You pay contributions to your nominated fund
- We invest those contributions, aiming to increase capital growth
- Annually, your net investment returns are added back
- You will then receive your account balance in the form of two distinct benefits:
1. the contributions you’ve made to the Fund will be paid back to you as a tax free return of your capital (your Member’s Benefit); and
2. your investment returns are paid back either directly to you (Maturity Benefit), or directly to your child (Scholarship Benefit), depending on your Fund and benefit election
What benefits are provided?
- Regular contributions from just $11 per week means disciplined approach to savings
- The program is treated as a scholarship which gives you some tax perks
- Nominate your fund and forget about it. All the heavy financial decisions are made for you – by professionals
- Relevant protection funds are included in your payments and can be used in times of hardship
What are the latest developments?
ASG are proud to announce they are now producing two exciting education resources, for distribution to both new and existing members:
1. The Little Learners Pack (LLP):
A specifically chosen range of books and videos by respected parenting expert Michael Grose and renowned international education consultant, Professor Michael E. Bernard. The educational tools aim to help children develop socially, emotionally and be more successful at school.
The LLP includes:
• The Cat in the Hat educational DVD (Volume 1) and four fun episodes from a beloved Dr Seuss’ characters
• A set of five hard-cover story books from Michael E. Bernard’s You Can Do It! Education, with stories on how to get along, confidence, resilience, being organised, and persistence.
2. Membership to MY ASG: a web portal focusing heavily on education information and support tools.
- Access to the member-only website with exclusive e-guides on a variety of topics and the member newsletter – ASG’s Scholastic
- Access to discounted ParentingIdeas Club, full of information by parenting educator and childhood development expert, Michael Grose
- Special discounted offers to Australian Unity MediGUARD Health Cover
A few words from the CEO
Chief Executive Officer John Velegrinis says ASG “this is the first time we are releasing a stand-alone non-financial offering” and he is proud of the organisation’s continuous efforts to increase value and relevance to its members and their children’s education journey. “This is about ASG becoming a broader holistic education services provider”
Velegrinis adds that this diversification matches feedback from members and potential members. Many have been vocal in expressing their desire to see ASG provide them with ongoing support. Offering support in the education space in addition to helping plan for the cost of their children’s education is a natural pairing.
Mr Velegrinis says that ASG has been honoured to work with leading education experts like Professor Bernard over the years and also to be teaming up with Michael Grose. “The depth of international knowledge and experience that both Mr Grose and Mr Bernard have is truly exceptional. It really does make what we offer parents and families a valuable and education rich resource,” he said.
Parenting educator Michael Grose weighs in
Parenting educator Michael Grose says these types of education resources help steer children on the path to success from a very early age.
“It’s not just about IQ and traditional school smarts. There are a range of other factors, such as:
- The ability to get on with others
- Ability to persist at tasks
- Ability to recover when met with failure
These are important resilient character strengths and should be nurtured from an early age.
“It’s also a really valuable resource for parents. Parents are struggling because they lack the developmental knowledge…there is so much information about parenting that it can be confusing for parents. Clearly, access to a parenting authority helps other parents feel more confident in responding to various issues. It also encourages an understanding of their place in their child’s life by following a well-researched, consistent and tried approach.” Mr Grose added.