Give your business administration career a kick-start with these easy-to-use tips. Make use of the many courses available to become indispensable to management and ensure you’re ready for that promotion!
In any organisation change is inevitable, people come and go, and restructures take place. Some people fear company restructures, while others embrace them. When change takes place, some people wonder if they will be asked to leave, while others ask themselves how they can climb the corporate ladder. But why do some people worry when their company restructures and others don’t? There are two reasons:
1. The ‘non-worriers’ see an opportunity. People leave for a number of reasons:
- poor performance
- health issues
- budget cutbacks
- new job elsewhere
- company downsizing (and the list goes on!)
2. Some employees have simply made themselves indispensable to senior management. They tick all the boxes that management is looking for in an employee, and know it will cost the company time and money to find someone to replace them who performs at the same level.
Dress for the job you want, not the one you’ve got
When an opportunity arises you need to reach out and grab it. However, you can’t do that if you’re not ready. Senior Management will look right past you and appoint your colleague if they are more prepared than you are.
In today’s corporate world, you need to plan your future and be equipped with the requisite skills to get to where you want to go. You have to do the job before getting the title. In other words, you need to show you’re qualified to do the role before you actually get it. If you can perform your duties so it makes senior management look good, there’s every chance you’ll be in their cross hairs when promotions are available. After all, that’s what good senior managers do; they surround themselves with staff that make them look good. How do you do this? You need to develop first-class business administration skills so that when those opportunities arise, you’re ready to grab it with both hands.
Traits senior management are looking for in a promotable employee
People should never mistake indispensable with irreplaceable. Everyone is replaceable. However, if you’re considered to be great at your job, your employer certainly won’t want to have to replace you. Here’s how you can become indispensable to management:
• Show you’re able to get tasks done on time with a minimum of fuss
• As often as possible, go above and beyond the call of duty
• Make management look good and their jobs easier
• Be productive and show initiative
• Work as a willing team member and contribute constructively
• Have a great attitude, be reliable, loyal and trustworthy
• Most importantly, have the skill set required to take the next step
What skills do you need to be a first-class business administrator?
Acquiring business administration skills opens up a host of career opportunities, making you more attractive to both current and prospective employers. Completing a Business Administration course will equip you with a range of the following skills:
• Plan, review, improve and reflect on administration processes, procedures and policies
• Implement superior customer service programs and strategies
• Plan and manage meetings, conferences and events
• Schedule and arrange local, interstate and overseas travel plans
• Be proficient in a range of computing applications, especially the Microsoft Office suite
• Design and develop a range of documents using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
• Recruit, train and manage staff
• Develop a top-performing administrative team
• Provide high-level administrative support to senior management
What roles are open to you with further business administration qualifications?
You may be looking to boost your skill set in order to move to the next level in your current profession. Or perhaps you’re returning to the workforce after an absence? No matter the circumstance, a business administration course will open up a vast range of career paths for you. These include:
• Supervisor, Team leader or Assistant
• Executive Personal Assistant
• Project Assistant
• Office Administrator
• Office Manager
Top quality business administrators are sought-after in every area of the corporate world. Completing a Business Administration course can put you at the head of the queue when positions become available. You will be confident in making crucial decisions, manage an office, supervise staff and colleagues, and communicate efficiently.
If you want to be ready to take your career to the next level, check out our range of Business Administration courses available to you now.