A good cell phone with a 2MP camera will give you good pictures. If you want great pictures or pictures that win prizes, a photography course in Australia, and experience with Photoshop will do the trick.
Courses in photography will not only teach you the art of taking great photos, but you can choose how far you want to take the subject. Some people would like to keep their day-jobs but become freelance photographers. Others take it more seriously and want to turn it into a career. Some of the Photography courses in Australia will teach you subjects such as small business management, networking skills, marketing skills and also teach you to take stills or action photo’s or wildlife photography skills. For each photo type, Australia offers the milieu for each: Sydney harbour for stills, the Melbourne Cricket Club for action photos and the Adelaide Zoo for wildlife photography.
Specialised photography courses
For the serious photographer, there are courses that allow you to specialise in black and white wedding photography or high-tech digital SLR photography. If you like to take special pictures of close-up items like leaves or water drops or insects, courses for this type of photography – referred to as macro photography – are available to you.
Combination courses are also available, for example, a combination of travel writing and digital photography that can turn you into a travel writer as you travel Australia from the Gold Coast to the Canberra to Perth.
Both online, as well as school class photography courses in Australia, cover some of the most technical aspects of photography. These courses will include technique, as well as lighting, composition and photo development. You will be able to take perfect pictures of sunrise or sunset or in the rain and after that you will be able to develop the pictures you have taken. If you have used a digital camera, you will also learn to make aesthetic changes.
If you want a diploma in digital photography or a degree of fine arts that consists largely of photography courses, you can study photography at university or specialist art schools in Australia. A good example of such an institution is the Institute Sydney TAFE NSW.
Photography courses in Australia – Australian Photography Associations
- The Australian Institute of Professional Photography – members of the Institute are accredited through a reputable accreditation programme. Such accreditation assures the public of the quality of photographers who are members of the Institute.
- Australian Commercial and Media Photographers’ goal is to promote and develop the field of photography as a respected profession. Members are encouraged to learn more about related issues such as copyright re-usage, sales, contracts, tax and digital imaging insurance courses, as well as workshops.
- The Australian Photography Association offers programmes for continuous development and, on merit, promote photographers individually. This Association also promotes professionalism, photographic excellence and the photographic industry in Australia as a whole.
- Australian Accredited Professional Photographers is an association specifically for wedding and portrait photographers in Australia. This association offers accredited status to its members and offers ongoing workshops and courses for educational purposes.
- Federation of Camera Clubs (NSW) is for amateur photographers in Sydney. With these Clubs, amateur photographers can improve their photography skills (digital and other) through lessons, courses, competitions and presentations. Members also get the opportunity to meet with other amateur photographers in the region to share tips or socialise.