Graphic Design is a very large industry that has had strong growth over the past five years. Within the next five (to May 2022), it is anticipated that the growth of the industry will spike from 59,200 to 68,700. Approximately 30,000 openings are expected as a result of current workers leaving and new roles being created. Currently, Cairns holds 12.1% of graphic design jobs within Australia, with its average of all occupations at 19.8%.
By choosing a nationally recognised qualification, you’ll learn how to express your creativity and innovation as a graphic designer, as well as learning how to work well both individually and within a team.
What Do Graphic Designers Do?
There are many different tasks involved in the role as a Graphic Designer- these are, but not limited to:
- determining the objectives and constraints of the design brief by speaking with clients
- conducting research to create design concepts to fit the design brief
- preparing mockups in the form of sketches, diagrams, illustrations and layouts to demonstrate design concepts
- discussing designs with clients, management, sales and production staff
- adding detail and recording the selected design/s for production
Careers in Graphic Design
Careers in Graphic Design include:
- Graphic Designer
- Art Director
- Brand/Identity Designer
- Web Designer
- Illustrator or Animator
- Production Designer
- Creative Advertising Manager
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services – 61.2%
- Information Media and Telecommunications – 8%
- Other Industries – 17.6%
- Manufacturing – 7.9%
Graphic Design Pathways
- A Diploma, Advanced Diploma or more is typically needed to work in this industry
- A high level of creativity is also important
- Previous work experience is also sometimes needed to supplement a qualification
Is Graphic Design Right for You?
To have a career in Graphic Design, your passions must lie in creativity – this, along with exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and within a team are fundamental characteristics to this industry.
If you’re looking for a career that is full of creativity, then a career in Graphic Design may be the one for you. Explore Graphic Design Courses in Cairns today.