Do you enjoy rearranging furniture, choosing colour schemes and decorating houses? Looking to put your skills to the test? If you answered ‘yes’, then an online course in Interior Design sounds perfect for you.
Job Outlook for Interior Design
If you’re thinking of undertaking an Interior Design course, here are some figures that will interest you from PayScale and the Job Outlook Initiative:
- Currently, Perth holds 17.9% of Interior Design related jobs within Australia, with its average of all occupations at 11.2%.
- The median salary in Perth is $52,825, higher than the national average of 51,699.
- The number of workers in Interior Design is expected to grow to 17,700 within the next five years, with approximately 8,000 job openings to develop from workers leaving and new jobs being created.
The top industries for Interior Design are:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services – 61.6%
- Construction – 13.8%
- Retail Trade – 13%
- Manufacturing – 9.8%
Key Responsibilities and Skills of an Interior Designer
- Determining the objectives and constraints of the design brief by consulting with clients and stakeholders
- Researching and analysing spatial, functional, efficiency, safety and aesthetic requirements
- Formulating design concepts for building interiors
- Preparing sketches, diagrams, illustrations and plans to communicate design concepts
- Negotiating design solutions with clients, management, suppliers and construction staff
- Selecting, specifying and recommending functional and aesthetic materials, furniture and products for interiors
- Detailing and documenting selected design for construction
- Supervising the construction of interiors
Important Things to Note
Interior Design isn’t just about how colourful your Pinterest board is. There are many other essential skills for the role that most don’t consider. Elements of psychology, spatial concepts, building structural integrity, ethics, building codes, local government and building laws, and computer-aided drawings (CAD) all come into play within your employment duties.
So if you’ve got a knack for creativity, pride yourself on your ability to decorate a space and love to deal with people, have a look through our Interior Design Courses in Perth today.