This nationally recognised certificate will give you practical skills and ensure you are job-ready to work in animal shelters, kennels, catteries, sanctuaries or veterinary clinics.
Gain administrative skills related to the animal care industry, how to maintain records, and provide reception services and communications.
Through the online course and Structured Workplace Learning and Assessment (SWLA), you will also learn the critical necessities of animal care – from proper feeding, and correct hygiene practices to emergency response and providing basic first aid to animals.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Animal attendant
- Animal carer
- Kennel hand
- Assistant animal groomer
- Pet care customer service stuff
What You'll Learn
- How to work with people and animals in the animal care industry
- Animal industry-related administration
- Practical feeding and hygiene skills
- Emergency response and first aid
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 12-18 months
- There are no academic prerequisite requirements for this course. However, students must be 18 years of age or above.
- World-class online learning platform designed to keep students engaged and learning effectively
- Study on any device – desktop or mobile
- Real-time trainer support using your choice of communication – online chat, email, phone call, or video chat
- Balance work, family, social life and study
- Structured Workplace Learning and Assessment (SWLA) in this course is completed in 2 blocks and each block covers 6 units of competency.
- Block 1 requires a minimum of 54 hours of placement in approved facilities, and Block 2 requires 50 hours of placement in approved facilities.
About Swinburne Open Education
We are focused on helping more and more Australians achieve their career aspirations and ensuring they’re prepared for future workforce needs. We support you to achieve your career goals, from work-integrated learning, to work placement. We’ve partnered with industry experts that need people like you, now.
Swinburne Open Education courses are delivered and assessed by UP Education, one of the largest private education groups in the Asia-Pacific. All qualifications are nationally recognised in Australia and are awarded by Swinburne University of Technology.
Together, UP Education and Swinburne University of Technology have established Swinburne Open Education – a world-class, online native learning platform, to help you reach your career goals, anytime, anywhere.
Swinburne University of Technology is a registered training organisation (RTO 3059)