What are Health Services Assistance Courses?

These are courses that prepare students to assist with acute care, in community services, or as a pathway to further study. Depending on the course you may cover a range of core units and elective units, including (with course codes):

  • CHCDIV001 Work With Diverse People
  • HLTAAP001 Recognise Healthy Body Systems
  • BSBMED301 Interpret and Apply Medical Terminology Appropriately
  • BSBWOR301 Organise Personal Work Priorities and Development
  • HLTINF001 Comply With Infection Prevention and Control Policies and Procedures
  • HLTWHS001 Participate in Workplace Health and Safety
  • CHCCOM005 Communicate and Work in Health or Community Services
  • CHCCCS002 Assist With Movement
  • CHCCCS026 Transport Individuals 
  • CHCCCS010 Maintain a High Standard of Service 
  • HLTAID003 First Aid
  • CHCCCS020 Respond Effectively to Behaviours of Concern
  • HLTHSS003 Perform General Cleaning Tasks in a Clinical Setting
  • CHCCCS015 Provide Individualised Support
  • CHCCCS012 Prepare and Maintain Beds 
  • A course in Health Services Assistance and it’s relevant units of competency may be helpful for:
  • Those looking to become a nursing assistant, nursing support worker or assistant in nursing
  • Those who want to work as a medical receptionist
  • Those interested in organising community health events such as immunisation drives
  • Working as a wardsperson or other support staff
  • Anyone who’ll be working with direct client contact
  • Patient support assistant workers
  • Those working in remote areas or with Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander health

How to Study a Health Services Assistance Course

There are a variety of delivery modes available to Victorian and Australian students who are interested in becoming professional staff in a hospital or other health services area. Whether you want to study face to face on campus or via online learning, there are many courses that offer a delivery method that could suit. Equally, there are both full time and part-time study loads, as well as recognition of prior learning (RPL), which allows registered training organisations (RTOs) to recognise previous training completed or work experience. Course fees vary.

Entry requirements vary from organisation to organisation, but for TAFE organisations offering a course such as an HLT33115 Certificate III, they tend to revolve around basic literacy and numeracy. Anything above a Certificate IV (which typically includes a work placement) may require prior study.

International students should enquire with CRICOS before trying to enrol in a course.

For further information about tuition fees, government funding options, start dates, find out about a specific course above!