The disability sector is a fulfilling and interesting place for individuals who care about the rights and independence of others, and who are looking for a potentially flexible and stable career.
The E1380 Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability) is nationally recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework, and upon completion you could gain employment in many different types of positions to suit your needs and personal goals. Throughout this course you’ll learn how to provide support to meet personal care needs, implement individualised plans and empower those with disabilities.
Gaining the qualifications and skills to work with people with disability could see you move into a valuable and rewarding career in disability services. This is a great entry level Certificate that will equip you with specialist knowledge, and the opportunity to put your training into practice during Structured Workplace Learning for real workplace experience.
This course is flexible and is delivered through a combination of online learning and practical work placement. Structure your study around your other commitments, learn in your own time and receive comprehensive support through your expert trainer and assessor and our learning and student support teams.
*Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics: Disability, Australia, 2009
This course is offered by Open Colleges on behalf of Integrated Care and Management Training.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Accommodation Support Worker
- Care Assistant
- Community Care Worker
- Disability Support Worker
- Residential Care Officer
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
Maximum 12 months
There are no formal education entry requirements for this course.
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
The course contains a minimum of 120 hours of work placement
A work placement is a highly stimulating and rewarding part of the course. It will enable you to participate in a real workplace and put into practice the new skills and knowledge that you are learning in the course.
You will need to undertake your work placement in an organisation involved in professional disability services, such as a group home or respite centre. The workplace will need to be able to provide you with access to specialist equipment and resources.
- Knowledge tests
- Practical Assessments
- Work with information about the human body
- Recognise and promote ways to support healthy functioning of the body
- Demonstrate commitment to empowerment for people with disability
- Foster human rights
- Facilitate choice and self-determination
- Apply a person-centred approach to minimise behaviours of concern
- Review context of behaviours of concern
- Provide positive behaviour support according to individualised behaviour support plan
- Complete documentation
- Determine support needs
- Provide support services
- Monitor support activities
- Complete reporting and documentation
- Communicate effectively with people
- Collaborate with colleagues
- Address constraints to communication
- Report problems to supervisor
- Complete workplace correspondence and documentation
- Contribute to continuous improvement
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)