- This fee-for-service program is not eligible for government funding
Patient transport is our business. Our trainers work in the industry and know how to train Patient Transport Officers to the highest standard. That’s why our training produces the best quality candidates.
This qualification reflects the role of workers such as non-emergency patient transport officers who provide non-emergency transport and care for patients who have a non-acute or chronic illness or disability and require transportation. Workers in this role provide appropriate patient assessment, follow procedures for safe removal of a patient for transport for pre-arranged or booked transport service and the time of response is not given high priority in comparison to emergency transport.
We are confident in the delivery of our training. On successful completion of the course, graduates will be guaranteed an interview for current vacant positions in the Non-Emergency Patient Transport division in Victoria.
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 6 Months
This course will be delivered in six blended modules of e-learning, virtual classroom sessions, observation shifts and simulated training.
The course includes a 3-week training program, which incorporates practical driving components. Students are also required to complete various self-paced workbooks and participate in four observer shifts with St John Patient Transport crews over a total course duration of 6 months.
Virtual learning uses collaborative software to provide the benefits of face to face learning, such as real-time interaction between students and educators, but with the flexibility of students being able to log on from the comfort of their home or workplace.
To commence this course, you are required to have:
- Full Driver’s Licence (P/L plates not accepted)
- Current working with children check
- Current Police check
- Students must have a laptop or tablet which is wi-fi enabled
- You must also have good oral and written communication skills in English – as part of the enrolment process, you will be required to complete a Language, Literacy and Numeracy assessment
Recognition of Prior Learning
Credit transfer and Recognition of prior learning (RPL) are two ways your previous education, training or experience can contribute to a new qualification.
At St John Ambulance you can apply for credit so your previous learning or experience counts toward your St John Ambulance program.
A successful outcome for this certificate will be determined by a range of different assessment methods including written assessment (questionnaire), observation of simulated and practical activities etc. You will be required to demonstrate CPR on a manikin on the floor.
Patient Transporter Job Duties generally include:
- Transports patients by assisting patients in and out of ambulances, cars, and helicopters; lifting patients on and off beds; moving them to and from particular service and treatment areas, and operating rooms; using wheelchairs or moveable beds
- Comforts patients and their families by offering support and encouragement; being punctual and attentive to procedure schedules; demonstrating caring and cultural sensitivity
- Transports equipment and supplies by picking-up requisitioned orders; delivering them to assigned treatment areas and patient care areas
- Transports laboratory specimens by picking-up specimens and delivering them to specified laboratory
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with federal and state legal regulations and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) requirements
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities
- Enhances health care organisation reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
About St John Ambulance Australia (VIC)
As one of the largest training providers training over 400,000 students nationally per year, St John is also a not-for-profit, operating for over 137 years. Our mission is the service of humanity, and we aim to deliver the best student experience possible and be a place where people are inspired to learn, volunteer and work. We support our charitable work through a strong and diversified commercial operation, which includes Training, Event health services, Non-emergency patient transport and the sale of First Aid products.
We deliver nationally recognised training in partnership with St John Ambulance Australia Inc, a Registered Training Organisation (RTO number: 88041)