Monarch Institute is one of very few registered training organisations (RTOs) to offer the TPB (Tax Practitioners Board) approved courses required to become a registered BAS agent or a registered tax agent. We’re also included in a very select few accredited training providers listed by the world’s largest bookkeeping institute, the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers. In other words, they’re fit for what the industry is looking for.
Courses are delivered by skilled professionals, senior CPA and chartered accountants, registered BAS agents and bookkeepers. They have decades of combined experience across an extensive range of industries.
Study accounting or bookkeeping with us and you’ll get practical training that makes use of industry leading software, like MYOB and Xero. It’s all about making you job-ready from the moment you graduate.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- BAS agent
- Bookkeeping and small practice accounting
- Assistant accountant
- Accounts officer/clerk
- Payroll officer/clerk
- Accounts receivable credit/controller
- Financial controller (small to medium businesses)
- Taxation officer
- Treasury officer
- Procurement officer
- Analyst (with financial reporting focus)
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
Students who are highly motivated and well organised can often complete the full course in nine months. The key factors that influence course completion are a student’s experience, time availability and work rate.
There is a maximum time period of two years to complete the whole qualification. You must complete each module within six months.
There is no minimum course completion time except for some government funded students, students can complete the qualification as quickly as they choose.
There aren’t any formal prerequisites. But to make sure you get the most out of training with us, the following enrolment process applies:
- Once we receive your enrolment, our friendly course consultants will touch base to undertake a pre-training review to ensure the training is right for you.
- For students without an equal or higher level qualification, there is a short language, literacy and numeracy quiz you complete online.
- Easy-to-follow course materials (we’ll also post you textbooks)
- The choice between MYOB and Xero (student editions)
- Videos and webinars
- Heaps of support from your course trainers (phone, email, Zoom)
- A dedicated admin team on hand to guide you
- Online assessments
- Student Facebook group
Recognition of Prior Learning
Monarch Institute recognises Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) which takes into account the knowledge and skills you have already gained through your previous education and work history, attributing this to your FNS40217 Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping. These may be through formal or informal training and can result in credits towards your qualification. We also offer Credit Transfer (CT).
Assessment formats include:
- Case studies
- Multiple-choice questions
- Short-answer questions
- Calculation questions
- Accounting software simulation questions
BAS Agent Certification assessments
The Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) requires the BAS Agent Certification module (included in this Certificate IV) to be assessed via two two-hour open book assessments.
The first assessment covers payroll administration. The second assessment covers activity statements. The assessments do not need to be completed at the same time.
You will need access to the following equipment to successfully complete the course:
- Working computer with Microsoft Office (2009 or later)
- Access to the internet
- How to apply accrual accounting principles
- Cash accounting
- Applying GST rules to transactions
- Depreciation methods and calculations
- Completion of general journal and special journal entries
- Posting journal entries to general ledger accounts
- Using subsidiary debtors and creditors accounts
- Completing bank reconciliations
- Preparing the trial balance
- Income Statements
- Balance Sheets
- Inventory accounting and valuation methods
- Management Reports & Analysis
- Work effectively in the accounting and bookkeeping industry
- Professional working relationships
- Continuing Professional Education
- Organise personal work priorities and development
- Co-ordinate personal skill development and learning
- Setting up the company file using MYOB or XERO
- Creating contacts
- Modifying the Chart of Accounts
- Recording day to day transactions – sales, purchases & journals
- Reconciling accounts – bank, stock, payables and receivables.
- Essential reporting – Trial Balance, Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet.
- Understanding payroll
- Payroll calculations
- Setting up payroll
- PAYG withholding tax
- Processing payroll Leave entitlements
- Maintaining the system
- Providing BAS Services
- PAYG and Instalment Activity Statements
- The Goods and Services Tax
- The Mechanics of GST and the BAS
- Methods for calculating GST Liability
- Luxury Car Tax
- Fuel Tax Credits
- Wine Equalisation Tax
- Fringe Benefits Tax
- Alternative GST & BAS accounting methods
- Completing the Business Activity Statement
- Activity statement lodgements and payments
- Cloud computing needs and implementation for businesses
- Essential business mathematics
- Calculations for percentages, interest, annuities, depreciation
- Break-even analysis and graphs
- Business statistics
- The budgeting process
- Preparation of master and operating budgets
- Monitoring performance against budget
- Introduction to Business Taxation
- Income Tax business basics
- Fringe Benefits Tax
- Superannuation Guarantee
- Payroll taxes
- Stamp duty
About Monarch Institute
Monarch Institute provides engaging and well-structured courses that are nationally recognised across Australia under the Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF).
All courses are written by industry experts, who liaise and work closely with employers to ensure the necessary industry specific subject matter is carefully and comprehensively integrated throughout the course. It’s not just the knowledge we are focussed on in regard to your learning. We are equally focussed on the skills you need to develop in order to be successful in your chosen industry.
Monarch Institute Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO code: 22530).