Guide the way by gaining the foundational skills in counselling to practise respectful and inclusive counselling. You will experience interactive teaching in a supportive learning environment.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Youth Worker
- Community Support Worker
- Case Worker
- Family Counsellor
- Development Officer
What You'll Learn
Foundations of counselling
- Acquire a critical understanding of the skills and major models of counselling that will support you to work in a range of human service roles.
A respectful approach to counselling
- Develop the knowledge on how to work with clients from diverse cultural backgrounds and identities.
- A Student Success Adviser is allocated to support you throughout your study journey, right from enrolment through to graduation.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 4 units (7 weeks each)
- 8 months part-time
- 15-20 hours of study per week
General Admission Requirements
To be eligible for the Graduate Certificate in Counselling, applicants must:
- have an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in any discipline.
Additionally, completion of the graduate certificate would allow a student to be eligible for direct admission to the graduate diploma and master’s degree.
- There are non-standard English language requirements for this course.
- To be eligible you must have an overall IELTS Academic score (or equivalent) of 7.0, with no band score below 7.0.
Supported online learning
Learn 100% online with support from UC’s politics, public policy, economics, legal and business experts.
Built for policy professionals
Gain the practical, analytical and comprehensive skills required to curate policy research and recommendations, applying them to real-world contexts.
Learn from the home of policy-making
Benefit from UC’s decades of policy knowledge and close ties with the policy community.
Why Study With UC?
Our practical, supported and accelerated online courses are designed to deliver outcomes that create real impact and inspire real change in the world around us. UC postgraduate courses are not only delivered online – they are career-relevant and designed for demand so you can apply your learning faster.
- #1 in the world for reducing inequalities*
- #2 young university in Australia^
*Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings, 2021
About University of Canberra
The University of Canberra (UC) is a hub of learning, practical courses and innovative research. It is a place where ideas are born, creativity is explored and opportunity is created.
UC is a university for the professions, dedicated to providing immersive student experiences focused on employability outcomes.
UC is one of the world’s leading universities for reducing inequalities (UC is ranked in the top five universities globally for reducing inequalities – THE Impact Rankings, 2023) and have been ranked number one in Canberra for full-time employment and starting salaries (Good Universities Guide 2023).
This success is in part due to our two-pronged focus, encompassing progressive, expert teaching alongside strong ties to industry. This means that students enjoy real-world work experience and get a taste of their future careers, even before graduation.